PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Using Syringes as Glue Applicators...

In general, when constructing a model I squirt a glob of Aleene's glue onto an old 4x4 tile on my work surface and use a bamboo skewer to spread where needed. But there are times when I need to be a bit more precise and get glue into tight areas. This is challenging for me because I'm blind in one eye and have no depth perception. I can't even begin to count how many times I've slopped glue because I've misjudged the distance between the model and the glue applicator.

I've purchased some of the Duda syringes and I want to experiment with them. I'm a big fan of Aleene's original tacky glue but I'll need to water it down in order to force it through the syringe. Can anyone suggest a reasonable water-to-glue ratio? Any suggestions on how to prevent the glue from drying in the needle? And finally, since paper and water don't mix well, has anyone experimented with using something other than water (alcohol? floor wax?) to decrease the viscosity of glue?

Inquiring minds (mine) want to know!

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Jeff,

After trying several ways, found that the syringes work the best. Ease of use, accurate way to get the right amount, means not much "squeeze" out glue to clean up when clamping.

Yes, aleenes is a good choice, even after you add a little water to get it to flow properly. I use the Turbo tacky in my syringes.

I've used several different styles of syringes, my favorite fits the hands easy, is designed for refilling, and best of all no metal "straw" that is straight.

The Monoject 412 has a curved plastic straw that necks down to a small opening. This allows thicker glue to be used.
Using Syringes as Glue Applicators...-mono412.jpg

Recently bought a bag of 25 for real cheap off of amazon or eBay.

They are used by dentist's for flushing water for root canals or teeth removal.

Mike
Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Hi Jeff, to keep the glue from plugging the needle you can point the needle straight up and pull the plunger back a little and it will clear the needle but then you have to plug the needle......as far as how far to thin down the glue I'm still working on that one.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 151.94 MB
Interesting that you need to thin the glue. I use Aileen's in a 18 Gauge needle and haven't had a problem with it straight from the bottle. Only difference is my needles are actual medical use ones with the tips, but I would think 18 gauge is the same.

My guess would be you wouldn't have to thin it much at all.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
the only draw back that I can see from this is a blob squirted from drying glue obstructing the nozzle. you might want to try putting glue on a very stiff thin brush, or toothpick. if those fail to satisfy, then maybe clean the syringes every single time so there is no lock up or spurting globs out?
I have been having trouble with the card stock warbling after glue is applied. im thinking of only using metallic faced paper to avoid this.
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
98% of the time I use a hobby syringe for gluing. The type I purchase are available at any hobby shop and come with 2 different size applicator tubes one is Yellow and the other is pink. I use the smaller yellow applicator and it is about 28ga. (.41mm).

I would be careful about using water to thin white PVA glues as some of them will turn in something like silly putty and do not bond as well as they do out of the tube. My personal choice in for glue Elmer's Glue-All it is thinner than Aleene's and I find it is easier to use in the syringe applicator.

The biggest problem with a syringe applicator is if you get a air pocket in the glue the glue will come out in spurts and make a mess of what you are working on. So make sure you do not have any air pockets in the glue. Glue does dry out in the tip so I keep some 28Ga annealed steel wire and use it to clean out the tip. The wire is available at most ACE hardware stores and is also useful for making the wire parts on a model. Another trick is to vertically store the syringe with the tip is a small container of water.

As for gluing you can control the amount of glue on the parts far better with a syringe and using smaller amounts of glue you will find that the glue sets up very fast. it's almost like working with CA without getting your fingers stuck together.

Jim Nunn
Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
it's almost like working with CA without getting your fingers stuck together.
I could find a way to cope with that omission!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 283.81 MB
Thanks for the tip on the Monojects. Ordered!

The advantage of simplifying origami are twofold.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
I use spare medicine syringes that the drugstore gives away free to measure out medicine for kids... I have a bunch of them from when Keira was little.

I found that you can buy some of the "glue tips" that Testor's makes to push onto the tip of plastic model airplane glue metal tubes, and those tips will fit the medicine syringe tips PERFECTLY, allowing you to put the glue PRECISELY where you need it and in as small or large amounts as you need.

I use regular Elmer's white glue (not school glue) and haven't had to do ANY thinning of the glue to get it to flow from the Testor's glue tips.

I got a package of the Testor's glue tips for about $2-3 bucks at Hobby Lobby in the kit model section.

Later and good luck! OL J R
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I've been refilling my printer ink cartridges for years using Jet-Tec inks. They supply medical grade 10mg Hypodermic syringes with the inks. These syringes are fitted with a removable blunt needle (Safer than the sharp hypo ones).

I've found that these syringes are also perfect for applying large amounts of glue (without the needle) and miniscule spots using the needle. When not in use, a dressmaker's pin is sufficient to seal the needle. The steel needle is also useful as a spreader, as the build up of glue just wipes or peels off

OK, if not used for some time, the glue can solidify in the needle, but it is easy to pull the needle off, poke it through with a sewing needle, followed by the sealer pin to push the needle through far enough to grab it with tweezers and pull it right through.

As for the glue I use ... I can't tell you the make ... It just says 'Craft Glue' on the label. No manufacturer or supplier mentioned, but occasionally there's the little gold 'Made in China' label on them. I used to buy them in a haberdashery shop my wife frequents, but last yearI asked her to get me one next time she went ... She came back with five, and my daughter bought me another five a week later. One usually lasts me a few months anyway, but I've built very little since last Xmas due to my damaged hands, so there's still eight hanging up in the cupboard.