PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
any atomizer-ized fixatives?

Lots of advice on fixatives available on the forum but I wondered if I could take it a step further.

Has anybody experimented using a fixative in an atomizer rather than an aerosol for inkjet printed models? I imagine it would have to be alcohol based to avoid ruining the print out. I'd be thrilled to find something which gave a satin finish. I might be willing to invest in a low cost airbrush if the right solution is out there.

I can't use aerosols inside the house (wife has respiratory challenges and frankly, I don't care for the health risks myself). I live in the Washington, DC, area so generally if it's warm enough to spray outside it's also quite humid which usually results in 'ghosting' using a number of branded clear-coats. An indoor spray booth probably isn't an option since we're in rented property.

In theory--I haven't actually tried it--I favor using cheap hair lacquer as a fixative but that doesn't avoid the aerosol issue. I suspect a satin finish is a out of the question in that situation, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
A cardboard box suitably sized to accommodate the size card to be sprayed.
Flaps removed and laid on it's side.
False bottom duct taped in to provide a 45 degree slope on which to place sheet to be sprayed.
Computer cooling fan hot glued or duct taped to hole cut in back above sloping floor.
Flexible ducting taped to fan and poked out window.
A plugin power pack to match fan and you have a spray booth for about $20.
Mk11 version... Hinge front of false floor with a strip of tape and hold rear up with skewers poked through box sides.
Pull out skewers, lay floor flat, put in cheap $5 plastic cake decorating lazy susan.
Now you have a spray booth for airbrushing plastic models etc.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Darter has a quick and cheap solution. Would add no matter what you're spraying to get a paint mask. They're reasonable inexpensive, filters are long lasting and saves the lungs. Cheap hair spray was the old art school favorite as a fixative, but that stuff is nasty. I used it and was always: 'people spray this stuff on their head'.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Some of the Epson water resistant printer inks are alcohol based, they are not affected by water based mat media but will run when an alcohol based fixative is applied. I found that out the hard way.
Aleene's Matte Decoupage applied VERY sparingly with a large soft brush gives a very matte surface. I apply it to the uncut sheets, either laser printed or Epson, and dry them under flat weights between sheets of wax paper once they are no longer sticky. I would only do this with models you print yourself, since sometimes the page will stick to the wax paper and will not peel off without damaging the printed surface.
PVA glue will stick to paper that has been coated with Aleene's Decoupage media.
I apply Krylon UV protectant to the finished model.