PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
g to remember is that you must colour them, otherwise the model will look like an amateurish toy.
The way I describe it to new builders is imagine you buy a tuxedo and the tailor uses white thread instead of black.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Location: Wichita, Kansas currently originally from Toronto, Ontario
Total Downloaded: 111.04 MB
I've had very good success using the grey tone Faber-Castell PITT India Ink SB (small brush) markers while building an armor model. They come in many colors and don't bleed into the card.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.23 MB
I've had great luck with paint markers. The tips have a fine, flexible point and they do not bleed into the rest of the paper. Also, I always paint the edge of each piece before I fold and glue.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.75 MB
The two best techniques I use either coloured markers with alcohol based inks (e.g. Sharpie, Artline), or else being very delicate with Tamiya acrylic paint. In one case, I got handy with my airbrush to produce a chrome spinner for a Martin-Baker MB-5, and the result was totally magical.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
I have a large set of Prisma color pencils, and some Prisma markers. I usually go for the pencils to avoid bleed through. I have some pastels and a set of water color pencils that I have yet to try.
Even though I KNOW the importance to color the edges, I used to just use whatever I had on hand (which were basic fine point markers). I later bought the lightest grey fine point marker I could find because the main problem I had was that it was VERY hard to only color the edge. You always had a little bleed through of the marker onto the printed surface. Using a light gray help this to be less noticeable.

Doing a bit of research on the forums, I read about Prismacolor water color pencils. I found a set of 24 on sale at Michaels so I bought them. They are very soft and you do not have to press hard on the edge of the cardstock to apply the color. This minimizes damage to the edge you are coloring. I would guess that using normal color pencils you would have to press harder because the lead is harder whereas the lead in the Prismacolor pencils is very soft. The 24 colors gives me enough variety to get a "close enough" match to hide the edge. I also understand that the pencils can blend two or more colors together, but I have not tried this.

As you can see from the comparison photo, edge coloring really works well for me using the Prismacolor pensils.

Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
coloring edges-000-watercolor-pencils.jpg   coloring edges-049-edge-coloring-works.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
Thanks to all of you. I am just starting to get into this level of detailing. Its great to learn from so many experienced and talented opinions.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 835.1 KB
I've gotten a lot of mileage from the flat edges of colored Sharpies. The Sharpie color is frequently darker, but with a little practice a good, thin blended edge can be achieved.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 173.6 KB
If you have trouble mixing colors, create the color you want with a drawing program like Paint. Print out a 2 by 2 inch square on the color of cardstock you use. Take the sample to Home Depot where they have a machine which matches colors based on the sample you give them. Then get one of their sample jars for $3.50.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Don Boose just saved my sanity by recommending Caran d'Ache wax crayons. This AM I shot down to my local art supply shop and made the purchase. As soon as returning home I experimented and, lo and behold, they were perfect. And only then did I recall I have a kit that suggests using wax crayons (Swiat Ohka K-1). Phew!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Most of the times I use soft 4B pencil.With jets that are "silver" I use silver marker or pencil depending on shade of gray model is printed on.
Google Adsense