PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
More of a warning than a tip...

I've been meaning to share this for a while, hope this is more or less the right place!

Not long ago we had a house fire and I ended up losing every papermodel I'd constructed, but not for the reasons you'd think: in fact, I had the Schreiber Bugatti Royale sitting on a hutch that actually has burn marks on it, and it came out intact...well, almost...

The fire only affected our first floor, other than smoke damage, and I lost everything upstairs as well as down. The problem was that the people working for the restoration company obviously had no idea what they were or how to pack them. I found paper models tossed in with boxes of other items, with a half-hearted attempt to wrap a few foam strips around a few of them. Naturally, they were all crushed. I even had the Geli Foxbat, which was huge, big enough that you'd think someone would say, box that by itself.

My small plastic models didn't make out much better as most of them were tossed into bags with assorted metal models, etc, with no attempt to pad them - even my Hasegawa Thor Mortar with its delicate railings.

Ironically, I had the IAF Stealth Bomber and a Wilhelmshaven Steath Fighter completed but sitting in a box on top of a bookcase upstairs. Neither one ever showed up. One almost wonders if some temporary employee walked off with something they figured wouldn't be worth enough for them to get in serious trouble.

The only survivor was my dad's - a reprint of the Kelloggs' Normandie, which is huge, and was boxed separately.

So, the upshot here is, yeah, you're going to be too stressed to worry about such things, but if you don't take care of them yourself, you'll lose them.
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
So sorry to hear about your loss. A lesson to be learned here is to keep multiple digital, backup copies, if possible, of all unbuilt kits. And don't keep them all in one place!! I've invested in a scanner / printer that will handle up to A3 size so I can pretty much scan any kit out there. This way I can scan the kit so, heaven forbid, there's some sort of disaster, I'll still have the kit.
I too had a bad experience not too long ago. I was hit by SUPERSTORM Sandy, and I lost everything as well, and I'm not just talking models, everything, so I'm heeding my own advice now. I keep separate copies on thumbdrives in different locations. This doesn't help with the built up kits, but this way you can at least can go back and build it again.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
The irony here is that I was more worried about the unbuilt kits I had, a lot of the book format Polish models, etc. Everything had to be cleaned and I regretted not taking the box full with me before they packed everything. But those survived, even (and this was the one I knew they'd mess up) this superdetailed model panther tank from a company out in California (sold by PMI) that came with a lot of odds and ends in the bag with it. I dreaded the thought of them dumping it all out to put in their ionizer chamber to get rid of the smoke, but it came back undisturbed. Go figure.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Done lots of house moves over the years.

Anything really delicate or precious I pack and move myself

Tim