PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 163.35 MB
3D Printing "the Details"

Just wondering if anyone has tried 3D printing railing, Ladders crane and mast super structures...etc. For our paper models?

I just recently discovered my local library offers 3D printing for free. You simply upload a model to they're website and they will contact you when it's complete!

Reproducing these details in 3D aren't really difficult, but knowing the limits of the 3D printer are confusing..... How fine a detail is possible? Railings in 1/250 possible?

The prices on these printers continues to drop, and if I can get this to work I may just invest in one myself.

I did manage to find an example of someone printing an entire model....pretty fascinating.

Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
My library has the same free service. If you go this route where is the fun ?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very interesting. I've actually looked into buying one of those marvels myself, but bought a printer that I could scan and print A3 size instead.
This brings up a question. I'm all for more detail but where would we stop. From the examples you've shown you can replicate nearly any part. So, at what point does it go from being a paper to plastic model?
As I've said, using a 3D printer for the small stuff would be a great help. BTW! I'm not a purist, I'd use whatever I could to build a better, more detailed model.

Lately a match is the only thing that makes mine better.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
unless you are building from scratch the fun is in assembling and finishing-the same for every builders of printed kits. no painting is involved-where's the fun? 3d printing is just the latest addition to the options for making models.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Some parts of modeling, paper or otherwise are more interesting and fun than others. For me Railing, Chain, ladders ..etc. Tend to be tedious bits that often leave me disappointed. A lot of people usually "purchase" these options in the form of expensive photo etched details anyway.

Anyways, just curious if anyone around here has tried it at the scales we typically see in paper model ships 1/200, 250, 350 and 400? The pictures I posted were in the 1/100 range and done on a very high end 3D printer.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up I'm in

I like this 3D printing. I started with it at work back in the 80's. It was called Stereo Lithography then.

As for the hobby, I am all for it. It is the perfect way to eliminate the dreaded petal designs I see in paper. Also one day we can make clear plastic canopies with or without the framing.

what about large structure like ship hulls? Eliminate the internal frames and go for a 3D walled hull and apply the paper to the outside. No more warped, crinkled looking ships. Our friend Darius actually doing it now.

also, tiny details and parts that can't be done in paper? Here are some of Darius work
3D Printing "the Details"-dsc_0012.jpg3D Printing "the Details"-dsc_0013.jpg

Isaac
Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
Very interesting. I've actually looked into buying one of those marvels myself, but bought a printer that I could scan and print A3 size instead.
This brings up a question. I'm all for more detail but where would we stop. From the examples you've shown you can replicate nearly any part. So, at what point does it go from being a paper to plastic model?
As I've said, using a 3D printer for the small stuff would be a great help. BTW! I'm not a purist, I'd use whatever I could to build a better, more detailed model.

Lately a match is the only thing that makes mine better.
For me, I already spend 8+ hours a day on the computer at work. I am not interested in recreating an entire ship in CAD, Besides taking a lot of time, many shapes and parts would be beyond my abilities. My interest would be in parts simple to model, but difficult to reproduce in a paper medium.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
My library has 3D printing too. BUT Not Free
Only a "Few" Cents per Gram, But Still..........................
Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-EDSEL View Post
My library has 3D printing too. BUT Not Free
Only a "Few" Cents per Gram, But Still..........................
That's to bad, My libraries website hints at the fact it may not remain a free service. I figure it can't hurt to try while it's free!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
But one problem there is.....to use a 3D printer you have to have the knowledge of using a 3D designing program, and that is were I get stuck. Very difficult to learn !!! at least for me !!
So I would always be dependent on someone else to do this work for me, something I don't like, so I keep on building the parts myself.....from paper (cardboard)

John.
Google Adsense