PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Tool Time

Hello Model Builders,

I thought it would be fun to have a "show and tell" thread where we can share all of the tools that we use to build our models, especially the unique and unusual items that are stashed away in the bottom of our tool box. Whether it's your favorite hobby knife that you use every day or a re-purposed piece of plastic that you scavenged from the trash can because you thought it may be useful in the future for applying a single spot of glue to the internal former of a left rear horizontal stabilizer...Let see it. Please Share it! Post it here with a picture, a short description of how it's used, how you acquired it or anything else that you have to say about it. Don't by shy! This should be fun! I look forward to seeing all kinds of cutting and scoring tools, glue applicators, clamps, jigs, widgets, and whatnot's!

Here are a few pictures of my everyday tools. I have them organized in a miniature four drawer tool chest that I recently acquired as a gift from a friend.
In the top compartment are some drafting tools, a 6" combination square, a dial caliper that I use regularly to measure the thickness of card stock, some glue, cement, and other miscellaneous do-dads. In the other drawers I have stored a collection of knives, tweezers, and other essential and not so essential paper model building tools.

My favorite tool (at least for now) is my Japanese screw punch. The punch includes six bits that vary in size from 1.5mm up to 4mm in 0.5mm increments. This awesome tool really makes it easy to drill quick clean holes in card stock up to 1mm thick. If you don't already have one, I highly recommend it. You'll love it.

Now it's your turn - Let's see what you got!
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Time-pict0233.jpg   Tool Time-pict0235.jpg   Tool Time-pict0236.jpg   Tool Time-pict0237.jpg   Tool Time-pict0238.jpg  

Tool Time-pict0239.jpg   Tool Time-pict0243.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
I too have an identical hole punch and I find it not only brilliant at making perfect small holes such as portholes.

But it comes into it's own for making small discs such as rivets or 1/250 wheels etc.

Just insert the desired mandrel, position and push down, it's that simple.

Love your Gerstner tool box.
Most practical and tidy.

Clive.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Wow, Kevin you organized people really give me a complex. I'd need a couple of panorama shots to get my stuff in it. Its like back when I was doing graphics and paste-up: the pre-press manager one day told me: 'I don't say anything, since you always get stuff to us on time and pretty close to perfect; but your damn desk looks like someone tossed a grenade on it'.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Kevin - I love that box!

And a great selection of tools. I'm moving soon so at the moment I am trimming tools - will only be able to take a few! Breaks my heart, but that's life!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
but your damn desk looks like someone tossed a grenade on it'.

i have t chuckle at this as i too have my desk/work area in the same condition even after cleaning up within a few days it looks like a bomb hit it. bad thing is if its cleaned up i cant find anything so it usually stays messy.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...... It is my mess, I know exactly where everything is, so don't touch it, or move anything.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Those who keep a tidy desk, will never know the joy of finding a tool that was thought to have been lost forever!

Mike
Old 05-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I see I'm in excellent company.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
For some reason my phone won't talk to my computer, so I have an excuse not to show the shame that is my work desk!

The tool that I find indispensable is Shrike's "Rollystyk" (btw, has anyone heard from him lately?), and I have a new pair of scissors, Fiskar 'Amplfy I Razoredge', which are damn sharp. They're great for most fine cuts but a little tough to handle on an inside curve.

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-04-2017, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Personally I cycle, between cleaning up and organized to disaster zone. I find I like my toys out where I can reach them. The trouble is the workspace shrinks over time until there is no room to work. Then the cycle starts again..

Fond of that punch set, may have to make an investment.
Google Adsense