PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.96 MB
HELP!!!! I need to model a complex curve (and I haven't two clues to rub together)!

Hello All!

Hopefully somebody can help me out/lend me a hand with this.

I'm scratch-building a 1/192 Iwo Jima Class LPH out of foamcore and cardstock, and I need to model her bow as simple (and neatly) as possible.

As you can see in the images here, the bow is rounded at the top, and has a tapered curve down to a knife edge just above the waterline.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-2%29_1979.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f454a395b2.jpg

At scale, her flight deck will be 6 1/4 inches wide, and stand 3/14 inches above her waterline.

Ideally, the inner structure will be a series of foamcore bulkheads/formers radiating outward like a wagon wheel to provide rigidity and strength.

I'd like to "skin" the hull with cardstock in as few pieces as possible.

Can anyone point me to a technique or provide a template which will help me finish this lady up right?
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
That's going to be extremely difficult to model in cardstock as paper only wants to curve in one direction at a time.
But a trick I've seen used with foamcore is peal the paper off one side and you can form the foamcore better.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
That's going to be extremely difficult to model in cardstock as paper only wants to curve in one direction at a time.
But a trick I've seen used with foamcore is peal the paper off one side and you can form the foamcore better.
I've used that trick myself in building a couple of frigate models and my 1/192 scale LHD.

I'm beginning to think I may have to resort to vertical wedges (broad at the top and narrow at the bottom) in order to get the proper curves. These would have to be butt-joined (probably with a narrow strip under the join in order to reinforce the joint/seam).

The skinning will provide for hydrodynamic flow rather than structural strength, but in all likelihood I'll be coating her in thinned fiberglass resin to make her properly watertight.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
ok selek, as per req
For references, similar topic touched upon in this thread
how to make ship / boat's paper model pattern?

Posted my own thoughts on generating hulls and fuselages on Blender, hopefully sufficiently generic to apply to any 3d software
Blender hull/bulkhead generation part 1
and part 2

and another article to help understand how to section the parts so that they can unfold flat and in as large a single part as possible when dealing with curves
Rounding out flat paper

The only thing about the first 2 articles is that I've learned more about how to use Boolean operators and layering multiple objects to carve these models which is particularly useful when trying to fit protrusions such as shafts or tunnels through these rounded shapes. Basically, software can make this process a lot easier.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
you can look to similar modeled ships. maly makes a good version of the ww2 ark royal which is similar actually overall. i'll look thru my stash as I know I have her in the old and new versions.
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
found it. they do it "simply" as the top rounded part is separate and the lower knife edge is a separate piece. you could scallop the upper section like models that make cones to get a rounder shape but that sometimes doesn't work out. the ark model actually uses few formers to get the upper round shape but when finished comes out looking fairly good.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!!!! I need to model a complex curve (and I haven't two clues to rub together)!-image1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
if you take the foam board into the shower and run really hot water on it for a while, the paper will come right off and you will have the flex that you need. or try what cosplayers do, plenty of tutorials on utube.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
found it. they do it "simply" as the top rounded part is separate and the lower knife edge is a separate piece. you could scallop the upper section like models that make cones to get a rounder shape but that sometimes doesn't work out. the ark model actually uses few formers to get the upper round shape but when finished comes out looking fairly good.
Thanks!

This is very close to what I was looking for!