PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Curves for model designing

If you are a model designer, especially a ship model designer, this this set of drafting tools might be of interest to you.
http://yewtreehouseantiques.com/prod...ilders-curves/
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
At the knock down price of only $26,900 why not buy a second set, one for the modeling bench and another for the shed.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Very handy, but be aware that you will still need a spline and ducks for many of your longitudinal curves.
https://www.boatdesign.net/attachmen...6226-jpg.9543/
Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
Thanks, just bought a set. Good tools are worth the investment.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
There are metal tailoring tools (vary forms, curve sticks) ruled to help with curved patterns such as found in shoulders or curved seams. The range of curves is limited, but they are cheaper than metal carpentry tools, but can go up when bought as sets. The brand name "Fairgate" seems to carry the most variety of metal versions (at least when I looked them up)

I mention metal curves because I suppose my main focus here is for guiding blades. For drawing I suppose a set of plastic french curves should do for a lot of applications. I recall using in college a flexible curve for plotting graph points which consisted of flexible plastic bands that held their curve by clamps (curiously I remember them being called a "ship's curve" although that doesn't seem to be what they are called...the boat people here can correct me). These can be found as "flexible curves" with drafting tools. They can vary in price and quality.

I did find this set of metal french curves for carpentry for $90
Tool Review | Sterling Tool Works Roubo Curves.
I found at least one flexible steel curve for carpentry, but it is really designed more as a re-configurable curve transfer tool for pattern reproduction than as a cutting template which seems like overkill for cutting a piece that fits on most model parts sheets.

I have to admit that for cutting curves I tend to just rely on patience and a very sharp pair of steady scissors (move the part instead).
Google Adsense