PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I tried this, using the brand Hard as Nails and found that it really stiffened the paper nicely, and is easier to apply than Super Glue. However, it left a very shiny surface. To fix this I simply sprayed it with matte clear enamel, in this case Rustoleum, which is what my local Walmart carried. The results were great, the paper was as tough as it is when using super glue, smoother and after spraying with the matte, the same finish as the rest of whatever I build.

This will come in handy for finishing those little fiddly parts that always want to bend and aren't rigid enough to support other pieces.

Beard
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.14 MB
Ok, I must be doing something wrong then :p I bought this stuff (picture below). Tried it on a tester piece with something printed on it. It's thick and hard to brush on evenly and it left a blotchy matte white residue. I have a feeling it dried on the surface rather than penetrating the paper. For scientific purposes I brushed the back of one of the two identical tail parts of the Catalina; the brushed piece appeared somewhat stiffer and the corners were a little harder to fray. I don't think it worth the hassle, at least not unless there is a better way of doing it.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
That is exactly the same stuff I have. It is a little thick going on but seems to smooth out as it dries. The paper I painted had already been sealed, cut and shaped (I had a three bladed prop and spinner that were too large for the model). I was very pleased with the hardening of the prop, one blade had already bent, so I straightened it and painted the whole works. I had zero miss coloring and the bent blade was now strong and straight.

My method was to just paint one brush stroke, no going back to double coat until after it dried, It really smoothed the finish. Then I sprayed with the matte enamel, probably a week later just as an experiment.

Beard
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Hardener-sight_2017_08_06_090846_561.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 03:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Anyone here tried fibreglass resin, perhaps diluted?