PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
How to Upscale models on PDF?

As the title asks, what's the best way to upscale, say, a 1/96 model to 1/48? I use Foxit reader for PDFs. If I double the scale of a PDF, it centers the page and the edges get cut off. I'd like to be able to center the sheet anywhere I want, so I can print the parts in the various sections of the sheet. It may take me 4, 5, or more sheets to print out all the parts on one sheet after I upscale. Is there a program that will let me do this? Yes, I know "tiling" large sheets, but I would like to prevent overlap. Likewise, "print current view" doesn't always maintain the scale properly.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
In Acrobat Reader when you select print, you can choose Poster print, set the scale you want and even an overlap margin.
in FoxIt it looks like tiling large sheets should give similar results, but the important point is to figure out the exact scale and print at that fixed scale to ensure everything prints correctly. NEVER use the fit to page or shrink to page as those options tend to use different scaling factors randomly.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You can use the Snapshot tool to highlight the parts you want.

In the print dialogue Print Selected Graphic should be chosen automatically. If not then select that.

Choose Custom Scale and input the percentage you want.

Use the slider beneath the print preview window to see if what you selected will fit within the margins of the page for your printer.

If everything checks out then print and continue to select other areas of the page and print at the same percentage.

I use Adobe Reader XI. The procedure is basically the same in Foxit Reader.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM

This is what I'm trying to avoid - one sheet becomes six. The body is split over all six sheets. If I could just print the body alone at 200% I think it would just cover all of one sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Upscale models on PDF?-upscale.jpg  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Try that procedure I outlined. You will, by the nature of the snapshot, sometimes capture sections of the other parts on the page, but the one part you want should be whole and centered on the page.

The printing depends on the maximum size page your printer can handle. Most printer in the USA can only handle up to 8.5 inches in width. You have to keep that in mind and also what the side margins will be for your particular printer.

Try to avoid the borderless printing feature, too. In most cases it will vary the scale of each selection or page to fit the graphic on the page.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Why not use GIMP(free)? Or PaintShopPro(paid)?
Opens PDF fine and from there free to change, edit, whatever.

Or use Ghostview-Ghostscript(free).

I'sm sure there are more free programs that can do what you want.

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I use the snap shot option and import it to Corel Draw where I can manipulate the shape to fit the page.

Beard
Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Try Serif Draw Plus. You can download free copies of the older versions. I use this for all of my re-scales. It has a handy knife tool for cutting out individual elements on the page, which can then be re-sized and copied to other pages. It also has the option of publishing as a PDF with no loss in resolution as this package is a Vector Drawing tool. Highly recommended!

Bernie
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardist View Post
Try Serif Draw Plus. You can download free copies of the older versions. I use this for all of my re-scales. It has a handy knife tool for cutting out individual elements on the page, which can then be re-sized and copied to other pages. It also has the option of publishing as a PDF with no loss in resolution as this package is a Vector Drawing tool. Highly recommended!

Bernie
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll eventually try all or most of them.

cardist, I located a download for a free version of Serif Draw Plus. If anyone wants to try cardist's suggestion, here's the link:

Freeware Files.com - Free Download Page for Serif DrawPlus 4

I've been very busy with home/lawn work the last few days. Getting ready to put in a water heater (no, the old one didn't leak ), so I haven't had much time for modeling.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I suggest Inkscape (free) - import the pdf and edit the parts as you please. One disadvantage is that it only imports single pages individually, but if you have issues with single part only, it should do just fine.
Google Adsense