PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.84 MB
Question regarding UK glue and paper

Hi everyone. I am a recent new member and a complete novice. My request for advice is aimed primarily at fellow UK members. Could you please recommend your choice of paper/card and glue available in our country? Thank you all in advance. Cheers, John
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
I tend to use Staples, Office Direct or W.H. Smith for paper etc. My favourite everyday paper is 160 gsm bright white lazer from Staples, very smooth and gives crisp images. For glue, I use Aileens Tacky Glue, Evostik pva and school craft glue, UHU general purpose for laminating or any large areas where distortion may occur.

The thing is though, I am always on the look out for any sort of supplies where ever I go, drives the wife nuts!

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

Bernie
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.84 MB
Thanks Ernie for your kind and helpful reply. Cheers, John
Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
hi chowbaccy you could try hobby craft tacky glue white pva also the works .co.uk they do craft items and then there is the range they also do a good selections of card and paper hope this is a help to you all the best
Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
If you are near a city Paperchase was a usual haunt for me. They have a large and varied selection of papers and cards and that meant I was able to pick and choose limited numbers rather than bulk orders for small projects.

I also miss getting UHU for cheap, Love that stuff.

Printing shops were also good for providing paper, again they were ok with selling small numbers of sheets and had a varied selection of size & weights,

Best of luck with it!

John
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I've been using Anita's Tacky PVA Glue for a while, not sure if its like Aileen's or not
The Range sells it
Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I would avoid any PVA, it ripples the card if overapplied and the joint is too hard and tends to crack if surface is bent during assembly. I am using for years - and with very good result - evostick's Timebond and Impact glues (both can be easily rubbed off not leaving any marks - so no spots ^_^ ) . Available in any B&Q stores and probably DIY shops too.

have fun and good luck
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.41 MB
i use card from the pound shop .... 30 sheets in a pack (seems to be thinner than the coloured card they sell.......photo paper(when i can be bothered to use it) from pound shop . normal 80gsm copy paper (asda, morrisons,staples) .. and UHU "twist and glue" all purpose 38ml bottles bought bulk from ebay ..
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
I would avoid any PVA, it ripples the card if overapplied and the joint is too hard and tends to crack if surface is bent during assembly. I am using for years - and with very good result - evostick's Timebond and Impact glues (both can be easily rubbed off not leaving any marks - so no spots ^_^ ) . Available in any B&Q stores and probably DIY shops too.

have fun and good luck
Try woodworking PVA - different mix and it doesn't have the same effect on the card/paper; dries clear and dries sandable too...
Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post

have fun and good luck
i hate pva glues but that personal choice.have always used uhu general purpose and a spray glue for laminating
Google Adsense