PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-08-2017, 03:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Looks great, Dave! What kind of paper did you use? It doesn't look like it has been printed on an inkjet - or it has to be satin gloss photo paper.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
I'll second that.
And that!
Yep, it is a 10 inch, 260mm, square 264 page hardcover with every page that slick clay-coated paper. Pretty much like sticking a half-and-half block of lumber and ceramic in your bag
Amazon lists the hardcover version's shipping weight at 3.3 lbs. When we moved to Kuwait in '14, my bag weighed in at 49 lbs.; I had a pound to spare. I love the book (and could really use it right now...) but the overweight luggage charge isn't attractive.

I'm wanting to model one of the flights after the stretch but prior to the flights with the drop tanks. The A-2 first flew on 25 June 1964 and made its first flight with tanks (albeit empty) on 3 November 1965. There were several flights in between. As markings had a habit of changing, I'd love to find photos from that 16-month period. Haven't found any online, yet.....
Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Looks great, Dave! What kind of paper did you use? It doesn't look like it has been printed on an inkjet - or it has to be satin gloss photo paper.
Thanks for the kind words. Not sure what kind of printer it was; I went to my local copy shop, handed them my thumbdrive with the files and asked them to copy them at 66 percent so the model would be 1/48th scale.

Our Epson color printer, which we bought in Kuwait, uses ink cartridges that apparently you can't buy in Kuwait. (Welcome to the logic around here....) The print shop makes better copies anyway.

As for paper, I used "SpectaColor Fancy Colour Board," made in Indonesia, which has a weight of 180 gsm. Not sure what that works out to in pounds, but it folds and shapes pretty well and seems pretty strong.

As for printing.... My wife has an HP printer that just prints in B&W (she uses it for school) and I actually toyed with the thought of building the model in black and white. So many of the old photos we see of the X-15 are in B&W, so I thought, "Why not make a landing diorama in black and white?" I remember, years ago (maybe in FineScale Modeler?) seeing some plastic modeler using only white and black and shades of gray to paint a diorama to replicate a B&W photo. It looked pretty sharp.