PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 545.29 MB
Need a little advice

Hi all,
I'm working on the 1/480 Saturn 1B from Lower Hudson Valley Models, and I'm looking for advice or tips or any little trick that you might have for forming the tiny cone for the Apollo Command Module/BPC. I do well enough on larger conical sections, but this one has me stumped. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
maybe print on thinner paper? i do this when i had to roll tight the cannons for my SDF1. i printed them on regular printer paper.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 AM

I've got it on 24# right now, but I'll drop down to 20# and see if that works better. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Are you intending to display the model so it can be taken apart to show stages? If not, keep in mind the BPC cover was larger than the CM. When I've modeled Saturn 1Bs, I usually print out the BPC a percent or two larger than what the model offers.

As far as forming goes, I find that using the tapered end of a knitting needle and forming the paper on a computer mouse pad works well. If you're unfamiliar with using knitting needles, check them out. They come in various sizes and they are one of the most useful tools you'll have, especially if you're building rockets with cone shapes.

1/480th is a bear of a scale, even for something big like a Saturn 1B....
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM

I'm not planning on displaying the separate stages, so I won't have to worry about that at least. I'll give bumping the print scale a go and see if that helps.

I'll have to try a knitting needle. I've already got a mouse pad and rolled the body tubes and SLA came out nicely, but those are a bit bigger pieces to work with. Would you recommend plastic or metal needles?

What can I say, I like a challenge. And I think if I can pull this off well, I can tackle anything. Or that's the theory at least.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloguy View Post
I'm not planning on displaying the separate stages, so I won't have to worry about that at least. I'll give bumping the print scale a go and see if that helps.

I'll have to try a knitting needle. I've already got a mouse pad and rolled the body tubes and SLA came out nicely, but those are a bit bigger pieces to work with. Would you recommend plastic or metal needles?

What can I say, I like a challenge. And I think if I can pull this off well, I can tackle anything. Or that's the theory at least.
I'd go with metal knitting needles. Get a variety of sizes. You can see from the photo how the tapered end will be what you need.

I tackled Bruno's Saturn 1B but enlarged it from 1/300 to 1/288th. I can't imagine doing it at your scale. Good luck and post photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Need a little advice-img_5955.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks dhanners! I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get home tonight.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I use a circle template to make small cones. Make the initial roll using any sharp pointy thing, add glue to the joining line, and place the cone on a flat surface. Then put the circle template over the cone and use it to close the gap on the glue joint line. The template makes sure even pressure is applied so you get a nice round cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a little advice-e2e2e814-de64-4e19-9e16-f189898977ce.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I made up a few different size 6 inch long dowels that I bought at the hardware store and the smaller ones I sharpened with a pencil sharpener. The large one I used a sanding disk and formed them that way. I hope it helps you as much as these have me. wc
Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
I have used this method for both cones and domes even if they are not open petal types. I made the tool up a few years ago and put it away until needed.

Tutorial and Technique for the Assembly of Open Petal Designs

There is a download file in the self help library that illustrates this process.

Paul