PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Same here, David. Isn't it strange almost all X-15 model designers tend to lean to the stretched A2 instead of the much sleeker and proportionally more pleasing looking pre-stretch X-15? Now, not the red-white stripey pitot-tube one, but the nickel ball nose version. The full ventral tail.The square windows. Even in plastic, the bulk of the available models is the A2.

As far as edge glueing, I often use it, You just need to have to let the white glue dry a little more to get a good direct grip. It is very convenient, especially in places you cannot reach in to press down some rogue glue tabs.

I hope you are doing well, by the way.
Thanks, PK. All is well in Kuwait, relatively speaking. And I hope you're doing well, too.

In my perfect world, some talented model designer would do 66670 and offer a choice of noses AND tail markings. Throughout their careers, the three X-15s -- particularly 66670 -- carried a variety of tail markings. Sometimes it carried the yellow NASA band and sometimes it didn't. The "NASA" would be in different fonts. Even the tail number would be applied in different fonts.

It seems like it would be relatively simple to offer a variety of X-15 flights with a few alternate parts. I'd love, for example, to model Neil Armstrong's first X-15 flight.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
See, it comes down to knowledge...knowledge of the X-15 and its history.
I'm am pretty ignorant of the details.

I did a similar package for Ken's SR71 (alternate Tails and markings, as well as accessories).
This seems like a logical Add-On kit (for the X-15).

But first, I need to study up a little more on the X-15...
unless, you care to send me the relevent information?
Point me to the alternate Nose configurations and Tail markings?
or do I have to go buy a book?

For the SR71 kit I created a Tow Bar and Pilot Ladder.
I wonder what accessories might go with the X-15?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:21 AM

I'd recommend Dennis Jenkins' great book "Hypersonic." It is filled with B&W and color photos, color side-views, technical drawings and a ton of information, including flight-by-flight details of the program's 199 flights. I know Ken relied on the book when he worked on his model. I have a copy, but it's back in storage in St. Paul. I have the original hardcover, and it's too darn heavy to stick in luggage when I've got a 50-pound limit. It is out in paperback now.
https://www.amazon.com/Hypersonic-St...+american+x-15

Jenkins also put out a book of X-15 photos he didn't have room for in "Hypersonic": https://www.amazon.com/X-15-Photo-Sc...s=X-15+Jenkins

As for tail markings, one of the other peculiarities is that they would differ on the same plane; the left side of the tail might have the yellow NASA band and the right side might not. It's like modeling the Space Shuttle; to do it accurately, you almost have to pick a specific mission and model it.
Attached Thumbnails
"Edge gluing"?-img_5911.jpg   "Edge gluing"?-img_5912.jpg   "Edge gluing"?-img_5916.jpg   "Edge gluing"?-img_5914.jpg   "Edge gluing"?-img_5917.jpg  

Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM

I like original photos taken at the right time, for the best reference.

Not interested in profile artworks.
Too many inaccuracies and contradictions between artworks.

And you can't reference Museum displays, they are often historically inaccurate.

You've hit upon the biggest problem with creating alternate parts for Ken West's model.
The various Tail markings and Nose configurations also relate to many other exterior differences.
Various other markings are different, colours of varied panels, different visible engine components, etc
Too many things to change on the model to make accurate alternate vehicles.

I think the only acceptable thing is creating complete kits of alternate vehicles.
Maybe 66670 at a different time, in a different configuration.
or 66671...
or 66672...
And that might be something that only Ken West can do.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I like original photos taken at the right time, for the best reference.

Not interested in profile artworks.
Too many inaccuracies and contradictions between artworks.

And you can't reference Museum displays, they are often historically inaccurate.

You've hit upon the biggest problem with creating alternate parts for Ken West's model.
The various Tail markings and Nose configurations also relate to many other exterior differences.
Various other markings are different, colours of varied panels, different visible engine components, etc
Too many things to change on the model to make accurate alternate vehicles.

I think the only acceptable thing is creating complete kits of alternate vehicles.
Maybe 66670 at a different time, in a different configuration.
or 66671...
or 66672...
And that might be something that only Ken West can do.
Ken told me way back when that he was contemplating offering different tail markings for 66671, and he was going to do a 66670, but had a couple of other projects he wanted to get out of the way. That was August 2010. I've sent him a couple of emails in the past few months to touch base with him and see if he ever planned to revisit the idea of doing 66670, but he's not replied. Seems to have dropped off the face of the card-modeling world, which is a shame for us because he came up with som darn-good models.
Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Holy redirected forum topic Batman, this one really took a turn.

Beard
Old 12-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well...since the o/p initiated it and participated in the follow up exchange of messages there's really nothing much to be done or said...
Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM

The title may have been "edge gluing", but the subject was the build of Ken West's X-15 model,
so the thread is technically still on topic....sort of.

Ken has not been very active lately, its true.
I'm not sure what hes involved in now.

I think I'll let you get back to your build...
and I'll put the "alternate X15 parts" idea on the back burner until we get to talk to Ken again.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
For any other X-15 than Ken's one, firstly there should be a design for a new part of the fuselage to un-stretch it, as it were. The official stretched part is right where the chines broaden, unfortunately. It isn't a straight piece.
I have the Model Hobby 1/32 plastic model of the A2 and I tried to figure out if it would be possible to 'unstretch' it, but alas. It also would be quite expensive to start hacking away in that preciously designed model.

I guess it might be a little easier and less expensive to try in paper. A original size X-15 would be a great addition.
After that, there could be indeed busloads of different add-ons, wing pods, and tail marking sets...

Oh, and getting back on topic, for edge glueing, you could try and double up the edge itself to get a broader edge to glue to the other surface. This needs some fiddling, of course, when the part has a curved shape, like a chine.

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 12-03-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I added two sentences to get back on topic.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:12 PM

I pored over Ken's parts for days, trying to figure out if it could be chopped to produce a pre-stretch 66671. From a purely construction standpoint, it basically boils down to cutting out a 2.2cm section of the mid-fuselage (in 1/32nd scale) and the rear portion of the chines. There'd be some changes to the chines, too. There are other small changes (i.e., rectangular windows instead of ovals, etc.) but the "chopping" is the big thing. But the position of some of the markings also changes, as does the position of the wings. I can cut paper but I can't change markings.

If I had any CAD skills (which I don't) or had something more than an iPad (which I don't) I could tackle it. But I'm not a designer. I'll leave that to others, as there are some very talented ones out there.
Google Adsense