PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
I am not a rivet counter Can it be asked if some would have trouble mixing cardboard in a paper model?
Consider real aircraft, today most are made from sheet metal. But what metal, aluminum, 2024, 7075, 6061, and steel. Consider older aircraft, some still flying, made from wood or wood and steel, covered with canvas. How many used wooden wheels?
There is a group(?) number of people currently taking a printout of a paper model and using pop cans to make models.
Yes, I have a warped opinion.

Bob Neill
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
Actually, some of us refer to wood as "pre-paper"
(Though some others don't like the idea at all )
When I built a CIWS model, it turned out that round pre-paper toothpicks were exactly the right size for the barrels. I just colored them with a sharpie.

And on the Kirishima I'm currently building I used the same toothpicks for the barrel assembly.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I am somewhat a rivet counter, but not so much what materials. More that the finished piece looks like a smaller version (or maybe larger with some of the insect models) of the prototype. So for me if the base model started with paper, its paper; if plastic, its plastic; etc., etc., etc. But when it comes to adding all those little bits, its whatever works and my hand grabs on the bench.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.12 MB
I guess all scale modeling is taking something that is and making something that it is not,

By that I mean no airplane is made out of extruded plastic. But yet scale modelers take something so simple and turn it in to a airplane on a long lost runway. I swear train modelers can take bits of fluff and bird feathers and turn them into towns and rivers and soaring mountains. Dioramaa modelers take Dollar Tree foam and a few cents of grass flocking and turn it into a window in another time. Paper toy modelers take a couple of pages of printing paper and turn it into laughter of a grandchild. And you guys that can build working v8 engines out of printer paper....well I just don't know. While this may be a bit over the top and I apologize, all I am saying is "rivet counters be dammed". Off I go to build a "paper model" the way I want. BTW I love rivet counters.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 149.81 MB
It is about what you see as satisfaction, for me it is a snap to make everything out of paper.
The only thing that mioj still fails is glass.
Just look at my Yamaha Yamaha YA-1
This is only paper EXCEPT the headlight
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.95 MB
Send a message via AIM to imatt88 Send a message via MSN to imatt88 Send a message via Yahoo to imatt88
Smile

Hey all,

I'm new to this paper stuff too.

I love the Vought Vindicator, and since the only way to get a large scale version is the build the Combat Models vacuform, (with tons of scratchbuilding), I decided to try my hand at a 1/33rd paper version.

Why not, I can't be that hard right??

Well I'm here to tell ya, I got a lot to learn,

BTW huub, great work on the bike...wow

Cheers, Ian
Old 03-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Use what you have on hand, if you are more comfortable and you think it will be better, after all is your model, one hundred percent pure paper? some models yes.A plane, how do you make a transparent canopy if plastic? antennas of a bf-110 or a p-61as they are made if you do not use wire? A wooden boat is no longer used to use threads, chains, brass or copper sheets? You almost always have to use something other than paper, even a model of Zio needs yarn or other material for the riostas.What is used is used , of course, if you replace a landing gear with a plastic one, it is something else, but if you feel good replacing it, you have to import it. Unless it is for a contest, every method is valid, a paper model is still paper. more that I have some things in another material. At least for me I think it's like this.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i make mine purely of paper for one simple reason.to see look of amazement on folks faces when you tell them that is all thats used.but thats the only reason
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I have been building ship models all my life. Always with wood as the basic material (or sometimes if necessary with metal). Of course I used other materials as well: metal, textile, paint, etc. Nowadays I work in paper. When people see my collection (what is left of it) I sometimes ask them if they can see the difference between my wooden and my paper models. They can't.
What I am trying to say is, that the choice of material is totally unimportant. What counts is the model that is made. Prisoners-of-war made bone models, using even straw if necessary. Does that make their models less precious? Ask an antique seller.

If you make music, the focus is not the instrument. It's the music.

Of course there is a sort of challenge to make models purely out of one material. I appreciate that. It's like a sport. But nothing more than that.
In the end it's all about the model and the joy of creating something that was not there before....
Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhovi View Post
I have been building ship models all my life. Always with wood as the basic material (or sometimes if necessary with metal). Of course I used other materials as well: metal, textile, paint, etc. Nowadays I work in paper. When people see my collection (what is left of it) I sometimes ask them if they can see the difference between my wooden and my paper models. They can't.
What I am trying to say is, that the choice of material is totally unimportant. What counts is the model that is made. Prisoners-of-war made bone models, using even straw if necessary. Does that make their models less precious? Ask an antique seller.

If you make music, the focus is not the instrument. It's the music.

Of course there is a sort of challenge to make models purely out of one material. I appreciate that. It's like a sport. But nothing more than that.
In the end it's all about the model and the joy of creating something that was not there before....
the bone models made by french pows in kent uk are amongst the most beautifull ship models i have ever seen
Google Adsense