PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.12 MB
When is a paper model not a paper model?

Givens:

1. I am new to this forum.
2. I could't find a discussion of this elsewhere in the forum
3. My forum searching mojo is not good.
4. I know that I should make whatever makes me feel good regardless of material,

But...
When is a paper model not a paper model? For instance, tape or plastic for canopy? Balsa wood for masts? Twine for rigging? Metal axles? What mixed media are acceptable (if any)?

Is this even an issue?
I don't want to spend hours on a model just to discover I am doing it "wrong". Or at least I want to know I am doing it "wrong" for the right purpose.

Thanks ahead of time.
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2018, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 124.72 MB
calm down, there is no wrong way, you can use whatever you want. I make my canopies out of tape sometimes and sometimes I even use string on my paper models. Just remember, there is no "wrong" way. As long as the model is made out of mostly paper, its a paper model. Enjoy, best regards -Jon
Old 01-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
your point #4 hits the nail on the head. assuming you are building models as a hobby the only one you need to please is yourself. there are 'paper purists' who can't even write plastic when they post! i am on the other hand an equal opportunity builder. i use whatever material is most appropriate. example; currently i am working on a model of the bristol t188 from a paper kit. it includes parts that needs to be rolled up to create the landing gear legs. i have instead chosen to make them out of styrene and brass rod stock. will this throw the paper community into a tizzy? i very much doubt it and even if it did, who cares?

welcome and enjoy all that this forum has to offer.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM

Ok. Calming down... uuuuummmmmmmmmmm. ahhhh yoga.

Still curious what the standard of the hobby is or does everybody just do their own thing. I remember that when I was plastic modeling, there seemed to be consistent benchmark practices that people built parts with. But I suspect there are as many ways to do paper modeling as there are people making paper models. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Since you are new to this hobby, the first thing you need to do is leave your worries behind.

Just don't focus on what may be wrong (Jon above already said why).

Instead, focus on what you are getting right, and enjoy it. Take each step as an opportunity
to learn and improve. And you'll soon find yourself having great fun, and feeling satisfied
with your models.

Discussions... I seem to recall one or two. And they almost always reach the same conclusions:
"There is no universal agreement" and "Who cares? As long as you are happy with what you do, then be happy "

Paper purists... a few here and there. But most of us have also modeled in other mediums.
So we perfectly know that no kit can be 100% "one material pure".

Some may say that the model must be at least 70% or 80% (or whatever other figure) paper
to be classified as "paper model". But the fact is: there is no written rule anywhere.

Just follow the rules of your heart. And have lots of fun.

Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2018, 09:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Some people use cat whiskers for antennas and other aerials, so everything goes.

enjoy what you build
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 PM

Well I figure paper is made from trees, and wood is made from trees, and twine is made from cotton, which is a plant, which is like a tree sooooo.... ? Kinda paper?

I am looking forward to the hobby either way. The simplicity of the medium intrigues me. I am not for needing a thousand tools and thousand different types of building materials. As I get older, simpler is better.

Anyway, thank you all for your quick responses. Off to build something. Maybe I will start with a cube.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogopher1 View Post
Well I figure paper is made from trees, and wood is made from trees, and twine is made from cotton, which is a plant, which is like a tree sooooo.... ? Kinda paper? ...
Actually, some of us refer to wood as "pre-paper"
(Though some others don't like the idea at all )

Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
If you are going to enter the final product in some kind of competition you need to check out what would be acceptable according to the rules and to the judging commitee. Some places get real particular about what is or is not allowed, and some places don't quite match up with the requirements of the rules and the requirements of the judging commitee.

If you are going to make the paper model for the fun of it then use whatever you think will give you the final product you are going for.

You could try clear rolling papers for windows and canopies. Just explain when purchasing them that they will be used for the making of paper models and not to get stonder. Yeah, that's ticket.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Plastic canopies and wood or metal axles have never bothered me. Pre-molded plastic parts, however, do.. Also when people use putty to fill in and get smooth complex curves, and then paint it - to me you're losing the spirit of a paper model at that point.

But ultimately, what it comes down to, is - are you, the modeler, happy with what you produced? If yes, then it doesn't matter what went into it.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Google Adsense