PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.84 MB
Mac Alternative to pepakura?

Hi to all,

I am working on something I have never done before: a paper model, designed in Google Sketchup, from scratch as a gift. It's slow going since I'm learning how sketchup works, but I know that once the 3D model is finished it must be unfolded, and the only program I see to do this is Pepakura. Two problems: A) I have a mac and Pepakura is inconveniently Windows-only and B) It costs $40.

Is there a Mac equivalent to this program that anybody is aware of? I could install an old copy of XP via Boot Camp, but it seems like such a waste of time and hard drive space to use only one program. If I do go this route I know there is a free sample version - would this be enough to make an effective model (very little texturing, mostly cylinders, straight edges, and a couple of spheres - but will be long, so probably spread across multiple pages).

Thanks to all!
Modeler0421
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
There is an unfolding plug-in for Sketchup. Try searching for jf_unfoldtool.rb and you'll find several sources for it.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthulhu View Post
There is an unfolding plug-in for Sketchup. Try searching for jf_unfoldtool.rb and you'll find several sources for it.
Here is a direct link to the suggested Sketchup plugin: [Plugin] SketchUp Blog: Plugin: Unfold Tool

I use MoI to model but it doesn't have an unfold tool so I rely on this ruby script to unfold my parts. I have found that parts which have complex curvature are a challenge. Breaking parts into faces of your own choice, rather than just letting the modeler decide on the triangulation, helps in getting a successful unfold. Sometimes part simplification is also required.

Avery uses this plugin to unfold his Civil War monitors.

It is a very useful free plugin.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 17.84 MB
Thanks to both of you! I looked up a brief video before heading in to work this mornig and it looks promising. I'll five it a try. I'm thinkig given the huge length of one of the parts I may have to redo that one and divide the model into shorter lengths. Fortunately it isn't too complex in general, so it should be pretty easy to unfold. I'll post back with the results.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeler0421 View Post
Thanks to both of you! I looked up a brief video before heading in to work this mornig and it looks promising. I'll five it a try. I'm thinkig given the huge length of one of the parts I may have to redo that one and divide the model into shorter lengths. Fortunately it isn't too complex in general, so it should be pretty easy to unfold. I'll post back with the results.
I also watched a video before using the tool first time around which proved very useful.

Good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Pepakura Alternative for Mac OSX

Hi Modeler0421,

although the thread is pretty old, it is maybe interesting for you that there exists a software which is a real alternative to Pepakura, and also running on Mac OSX:

Cutout made by Dunreeb: http://www.dunreeb.com

There's even a free demo version. Any feedback (positive or negative) is highly appreciated.

Have fun
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeler0421 View Post
Hi to all,

I am working on something I have never done before: a paper model, designed in Google Sketchup, from scratch as a gift. It's slow going since I'm learning how sketchup works, but I know that once the 3D model is finished it must be unfolded, and the only program I see to do this is Pepakura. Two problems: A) I have a mac and Pepakura is inconveniently Windows-only and B) It costs $40.

Is there a Mac equivalent to this program that anybody is aware of? I could install an old copy of XP via Boot Camp, but it seems like such a waste of time and hard drive space to use only one program. If I do go this route I know there is a free sample version - would this be enough to make an effective model (very little texturing, mostly cylinders, straight edges, and a couple of spheres - but will be long, so probably spread across multiple pages).

Thanks to all!
Modeler0421
Hi Modeler0421,

there is a Pepakura alternative compatible with Mac OSX: Dunreeb Cutout

http://www.dunreeb.com

There's even a free demo version to try out. Have fun :-)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Native Papercraft App for Mac OSX: DunreebCutout

There is now a native solution on Mac OSX to build papercrafts from 3d models: DunreebCutout

https://itunes.apple.com/app/dunreebcutout/id963592540