https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...880_em_1p_4_im

Anyone try one of these thingies? Pricey
In August of 2015 a thread was started asking about the GyroCut:
Gyro-Cut

airdave did a review:
Crafty Products and the Gyro-Cut Swivel Cutting Tool

Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I know I've ask this question before but things change all the time. I've been using the OLFA KB4$-S/5 blades. How do these compare this other blades? Thank you for your help. wc
Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I wish I'd seen this thread a couple of weeks ago... I just ordered some X-acto blades to try them out.

I usually use surgical scalpel blades, I buy them in a box of 100 but go through them fairly quickly as I tend to use a lot of thicker card and although they're extremely sharp, they just weren't made for modeling and snap fairly easily.

The funny thing is, when I was searching for blades, I saw the Excel blades and skipped them thinking X-acto would be better. I guess it pays to do your research before buying.

On the bright side however, I have about 200 blades on the way (ordered some more scalpel blades too), so if I buy one of these sharpening gadgets, I should be set for life.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-02-2018, 01:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
WC - Olfa blades are excellent.

They are superior in my opinion, to the X-acto or Excel blades, and I have had the opportunity to do the comparison. Let me explain.

I was forever buying blades when I saw them and after a mega spring clean recently found, I had lots of brand new Excel and X-acto blades still in their packs. By then I was using Olfa, but I decided to start using the old blades as well in other handles. I was disappointed in their performance.

I have mentioned elsewhere that now for a few years I have been using and sharpening blades - these are the Olfa blades. These have a good profile - sharp but not too sharp - and as a result, they do not snap easily.

But the main thing is, sharpened or not, they really hold their edge. I use the blades for work around the house, cutting carpeting etc and they hold up well.

They are also available at a reasonable price too - when I buy them (and continue to stock up on them) there is a pack with 20 blades and a handle that is really keenly priced.

Olfa is a Japanese company - they manufacture their own blades and handles to a high grade, and are well-known in the art and craft world for their quality.

They invented the snap off blade cutter incidentally.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
WC - Olfa blades are excellent.
What he said. My arkansas stone and oldest X-Acto handle date from the Eisenhower years. After a discussion on this list a while back I bought both Olfa handles and an assortment of blades. Now all my other handles and blades are in a box for my descendants to worry about.
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
There is nuthin' worse that a Tool Pusher!! What cut do you guys get from Pimpin' this stuff. I can understand AirHeadDave 'cause he is Canuck. But you guys should know better.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Excel Blades

Thank you for mentioning these Excel blades.

I purchased a box and after years of continuously sharpening X-Acto blades, I keep checking this Excel blade out of habit. So far I haven't used the sharpening stone on it yet. The thing just keeps cutting.

Bob Penikas
Attached Thumbnails
Excel vs X-Acto blades-excel-blades.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excel blades- same as Tstors great #11's

...got tired of Xacto blades a couple of decades back. I started using Testors blades- they were sharper (as my right index finger can attest). Then one day I was at Ventura Hobbies- Vern the owner, said the Excel blades were the same as the Testors- that Excel made them for Testors. So, I have been using them- they are more readily available than Testors, and other than the lack of the bluing Testors has on theirs, give me the same great results.

BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I bought a pack of 100 X-Acto blades in carbon steel when I got into paper modeling. I have used X-Acto for years in plastic modeling. The ones I bought were crap so I got the set of 15 in the little holder. Still crappy. Very brittle and the point would be gone in about 10 cuts.

Found some Excel blades on Amazon and what a world of difference. A pack of 100 was only a bit more than the X-Acto pack. These are stainless steel and really last a long time.

Standard disclaimer about stock in the company, yada yada yada....

Excel blades
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 185.34 MB
Check out prices on Ebay

Check prices on Ebay too. I just did a quick search there and prices were 10.00 cheaper than Amazon