PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 08-28-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Tires

On bended knee I humbly ask for guidance and help. I've scoured the forums to review how to build wheels. But not for looking I cannot find what I am seeking.

I am building the following kit:
paperhobby: G6 Rhino 155-mm self propelled gun howitzer 1:35.

I want the tires to be more realistic than round and squared edged.(see photos). I know that Air Dave made an incredible tire with the Saladin. So, I ask can anyone throw me a bone on how to do such a build? I know or think I do that other than the tread, it will be a 2 or 3 part side wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Tires-g6_1.jpg   Tires-paper.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
There are so many folks that do great tires on this forum, but I'm not one of them.

Yes, realistic tires require extra parts. I don't know how far you want to take realism.

I was trying to find a Sci Fi truck I built using a mod of the Samsara tires from www.toposolitario.com - Samsara, utility vehicle. It must have been given away or the cat ran off with it. But I rescaled Marcos's wheel to fit the truck diameter-wise, then I narrowed the tread. Using Gimp, I textured the tire differently and found a tread design I liked (that wouldn't be too much of a bear to cut out) and scaled it to wrap around the tire, slightly overlapping the sidewalls. I didn't quite have the length of the tread worked out, but that worked to my advantage. It was a little long, so I cut it shorter than a full wrap, and the slightly flattened part where there was no tread became the area touching the ground, giving it a more realistic appearance. I wish I could say I planned it that way, but it was a lucky happenstance
Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Take a look at Greg Perry's Scud launcher build, or Kevin Stephens' Dragon Wagon build, those two threads will give you some ideas on how to do the tires, similar to what you want to achieve
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
If the scale is small enough, you could resort to wooden wheels as a base for some paper treads.
If you try arts and craft stores (like Michaels), they have wooden wheels in various sizes.
You can also get them online.
I think amazon will probably have something.
You just need to know a diameter.

But you still need to attach a tread, or tread parts.

Building a paper tire still requires building the central "donut"
to which you will have to attach tread sections or cleats.

My Herc wheels are good example of a donut tire (lacking tread)
Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)

My Saladin tire is done the same way really.
You start by building a donut-like shape.
And then attach a simple tread strip.
Mine are pretty simple.

I've seen some really complicated ones, but they are often puttied, primed and painted to get a realistic finish look.
I was going for something entirely done with paper, that still had an acceptable look.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:45 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
another thought:

If the treads for the kit are all located on one page, you could print that out, glue those oval blocks to something a bit thicker, and then cut out, edge color, and glue on to the existing treads
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Amazing, all of you. I shall go forth and do some more research and reading from your suggestions. How real, the inner masochist screams yes very real, but the guy who has to cut and scratch his head is more, need to start somewhere. Thank you all! I shall post my build once it starts in earnest, but first learn to make the wheels gooder....
Old 08-28-2018, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That model definitely scream out for better wheels
Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
If there's one thing I love to build, it's wheels.

One thing I like to do with all my wheels, no matter how well they are designed, is to add a bit of putty to round off some of the straight edges.

I use a water based wood filler which bonds really well to paper, I water it down to make it easier to spread around. It can then be sanded for a smoother look, then painted. With my latest wheels, I mounted them on a dremel tool for sanding, it worked really well. I've added some pics of my Scud wheels to show what I mean.

Tires-tyres.jpgTires-tyre1.jpgTires-putty.jpgTires-tread1.jpgTires-img20180819154000-2.jpg

Another tip I would add, for that kit you are building, would be to make the wheels a bit smaller in diameter, then add some strips of paper, wrapped around the tread, wider on the outside, narrower in the middle, to give it the rounded shape you want, then maybe smooth and sand before adding tread.

Treads can be cut from a thicker card and even just adding basic squares can add a lot to the 3D look of the model. If you don't want to have to paint the wheels, you can try printing multiple copies of the wheel parts to use layers for a more 3D look.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000