PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
My cutter arrived today and I can honestly say it's everything it's cracked up to be, this thing is awesome.

Only 10 days to get to Australia too, that's quicker than a lot of letters take to get to me from the US.

First up, quality is superb, good looking sturdy construction and well packaged.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-img20180925140429.jpg

I dove straight into some card thickness tests, this thing seems to be geared towards cutting thinner paper so I was keen to test it on my preferred thicker cardstocks etc.

There's a bit of trial and error involved with determining blade pressure but it's pretty well explained in the instructions. I should also mention I went straight to the 30 degree blade which is recommended for paper thicknesses of 0.2mm and up.

First up, 250gsm... No problem.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-250gsm.jpg

Next up, 0.5mm, No Problem.

Starting with a lower blade pressure and making a few passes results in a cleaner cut, the blade is held in a spring so multiple passes will cut deeper each time.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-05mm.jpg

Next up, 1mm... Lots of passes required but it eventually goes through, the original review above mentions it doesn't cut all the way through 1mm but mine did, which could come down to the type/density of the cardstock... or so I thought anyway, until my next test.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-1mm.jpg

As you can see, there's a bit of burring on the edge of the 1mm cut, due to the multiple passes, but nothing major. So after this I decided to try it on some 1.2mm agency board. This stuff is extremely dense and difficult to cut with a blade, I don't use it often but decided to give it a try for the sake of the tests.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-1.2mm.jpg

It got through eventually, and relatively neatly, although I don't think prolonged cutting of this stuff would be good for the blades.

Next up, I tried the center locator jig thingy, on a circle I drew using a template, no problems there although as mentioned above, you will need good lighting and eyesight to line it up properly.

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-center.jpg

Lastly, I tried some random small circles with pleasing results, I managed to cut some 1mm rivets from 250gsm but they were a bit wonky due to the card delaminating a bit, I'll definitely experiment more with that though. Pictured below are some 3mm circles cut from 250gsm, they're a bit rough because I had the blade pressure set too high..

Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-2mm.jpg

So, yeah, this thing is as good as it sounds above, if you're like me and you cut a lot of circles for wheels etc and money is no object when it comes to buying awesome tools, this is most probably the best cutter out there, that I know of.

The largest circle I could cut with it was 51mm (about 2 inches) which is more than enough for my liking, anything bigger than that can be cut fairly neatly by hand anyway.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 11-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
This thing is really neat! Will take some time to figure out how to get the alignments right for wheels, etc. This is really an excellent thread my friend!!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-20181103_085650.jpg   Thinnerline Circle Cutter review-20181103_085646.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...