PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 917.4 KB
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius

Hello Guys,

I'm currently designing a german c/73 artillery cannon as card model and run into issues regarding the shape and the formability of paper/cardboard. I'm interested in how you would solve this problem.

The main body of the carriage of the original was made out of a single sheet and then formed, so that the edges are curved:
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius-part_illu_1.jpg

For the long and straight lines i can simply bend it, but the cannon does have a curvy top, there where the trunnions are fitted:
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius-part_illu_2.jpg

With plastic I would try to solve this by using vacuum forming, but this is not possible for paper ofc. So my first idea was, to cut the side and the top parts as seperate pieces. Then gluing them together, then sanding the edges round.

But if I use proper scaled cardboard (around 0,5mm thickness) the edges are to thin too properly glue the pieces together and sand them (atleast for my fingers..). So i tried thicker cardboard but then I can't bend the smaller curves anymore:
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius-paper-part-1.jpg

Another idea was, to make cuts along the bended part and then bend the small edges seperatly, but this didn't work out either, because the strips were either overlapping or the cuts are not well placed (i'm was using the automatic unwrapping tools of 3ds Max):
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius-unwrap_1.jpg

Currently I'm again leaning towards the 2 pieces solution, but eventually you guys do have a better idea how i can tackle this shape?
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Create a former the full width (or is that depth/thickness) of the side frame - green colour.
Cut narrow strips of thin (?copy) paper and laminate them in several layers around that former -blue and black colour.
(without sticking the laminates to the former !!)
Round edges.
Replace former with side wall and details.
Have fun.
Don't blame me if it don't work.

Further thought, you might want to make up some external formers as well,
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with compound curves and small bend radius-bang-png.png  

Last edited by maurice; 03-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
artillery, compound curve, sanding