PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
Don't get me started on models that demand to be printed on A4 format, I live in the US and I can't find that anywhere.
It has been mentioned quite a few times here on the forum.
Go to Amazon, and do a search for Legal cardstock, or do search for A4 cardstock.
Also check out the Borden & Riley 9x12 paper pad for ink drawning.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo

Last edited by rickstef; 06-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I've always found that anything you need is most likely available on eBay, but as others have mentioned, there are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to finding the right weights/thicknesses of paper for certain kits and parts. I've bought plenty of 0.5mm, 1mm and 2.0mm card from there, all in A4 as that's the standard where I'm from. I guess it would come down to shipping costs, I've noticed a lot of the german and polish online paper model sites sell this stuff too.

As for fitting issues due to paper mismatches etc, this is pretty much why I resorted to painting my models early on. As much as I'd love to build a paper kit "out of the box" as it was intended to be built, I'm not sure I have the skill levels required, I've always been a bit messy and most of my messes are easily hidden with putty and paint.

I'm curious about this "7.5 mil" paper, surely that's not referring to 7.5mm, which is the only "mil" I know of, and paper that thick would pretty much still be wood.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
A mil is usually 1/1000th of an inch. So 7.5 mil would be 0.0075 inch. That is around 0.19 mm.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
I'm curious about this "7.5 mil" paper, surely that's not referring to 7.5mm, which is the only "mil" I know of, and paper that thick would pretty much still be wood.
7.5 mil is .0075 inches
Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Falco,

For A4 paper you can use Legal size as it is a little larger than A4. You have to make sure that the printer is set to print actual size, not print to fit. Some printers you can set to print in the center of the page but that is not required.

Jim Nunn
Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
You need more hair to pull out... that's your problem! I have been fighting this same losing fight for some time now; I can never seen to find the correct "paper" it's always an experiment 99.9993% of the time. Don't get me started on models that demand to be printed on A4 format, I live in the US and I can't find that anywhere.
Most print shops should be able to cut to custom sizes. My closest town only has about 4000 people but the printer there will custom cut card and sheet for me if I need it...
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Also something to remember is if you have an A4 format model with some pages that need to be printed on the back of other pages it is best to trim some oversized stock down to the A4 size. That way the graphics will have a better chance of lining up on both sides of the printed page because of printer margins.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
What Jim said about cutting, really makes a big difference. Also how much glue have you been using, it actually adds thickness as well, best to use small amounts.

Are you pre-shaping the tubes? really helps when gluing.

Sometimes the parts just don't fit. Not all designers test build when they are done designing.

Mike