PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-19-2019, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
I've purchased a Cricut "Maker" (their latest cutting machine .. should be showing up on my doorstep today) for many reasons but one of them is that I want to try and cut out bulkheads, frames, etc. for my paper models (I have a Japanese I-25 Submarine waiting in the wings and it has a LOT of bulkheads/etc for the hull). I'll be using the knife blade accessory, which I had to order separately.

I'll start with thin material and work my way up to 3 mm basswood and see when (or how many times) my knife blade breaks the tip off. It may not do the job but I'll test it out and report back in this thread. I'm looking for repeatability .. that is, the ability to make the same cuts given the same parameters each time (I am wonderfully inconsistent in cutting out my own bulkheads with an X-acto knife, no matter how hard I concentrate).

Dave/Driver2209
Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
If the machine won't cut through the thicker material you can cut several identical shapes in thinner material and laminate them. You could even have it cut alignment holes in the body and use them to make sure everything lines up.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Silhouette has also announced the Cameo 4 which is supposed to accept 3mm thick material and cut with greater force.

Note that I said "accept 3mm material" NOT "cut 3mm material". What the results will be with this machine remain to be seen...
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I have a Brother Scan n Cut, I bought it for more than just card models and so far haven't used it much for modeling.

I was hoping it would be good for repetitive tasks such as cutting parts for wheels etc and it's not bad but requires a bit of time spent learning how to use the software and fine tune it to suit your needs... Something I haven't invested much time in so far.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-22-2019, 09:50 PM

My Cricut Maker machine showed up over the weekend so I've been spending some time learning about it, the Cricut Design Space software, and figuring out how to get my bulkhead printouts loaded up so I can do some cutting.

Making a little progress .. however I've run into a roadblock. My computer is "old" and I'm running Windows 7. While Cricut Design Space will support most features running on Windows 7, the Cricut Machine itself will not. I can make the design project but when I go to do the cut then the process breaks down.

I can, however, start the cut from my iPhone app .. so I design/upload/edit on my Windows 7 pc and save the file to the cloud, then use my iPhone to connect to the Cricut Maker machine and tell it to start cutting the pattern.

Problem solved .. sort of.

I can only start a Cricut project using my iPhone for cutting paper, not for cutting wood.

For cutting the thicker wood, according to Cricut, "Due to longer cut times requiring Bluetooth™ connection, Knife Blade projects are not compatible with iOS and Android devices."

So it sounds like I will need to get a computer with Windows 10 on it.

The good news is that tonight on my old computer with my iPhone I did a card stock cut using the bulkhead patterns I had uploaded and they look good.

I'm not giving up yet.

Dave/2209Driver
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

The upgrade to Win 10 might still be free. this article suggests it was still free a few days ago (Sept 20).
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Very interesting .. and tempting .. to upgrade to Windows 10 free .... however, that would rob me of my main argument I plan to use on my wife that I "HAVE" to upgrade and get a new computer (or at least a refurbished one running Windows 10).

Now, if I can just drop my iPhone 6+ at the right moment and convince her that I have to upgrade that as well ... hmmmmm
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 135.67 MB
I run my Cricut from my iPad. No troubles. I have run it from my Chrimebook. It’s web software so many systems should be able to run it. I’ve never had such a message before. That’s odd.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Ok.. I'm throwing in the towel on my Cricut Maker experience.

I've spent a lot of time (and some money) trying to find a "better/faster/easier" way to cut out bulkheads, etc. and have come to the conclusion that with the Cricut Maker I'm just trying too hard to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The Cricut Maker is a really nice machine and can do tons and tons of creative stuff .. but it wasn't really designed to address and support what I was trying to use it for.

I've since done a quick exploration of laser cutters and CNC machines and decided too much money and too steep of a learning curve for not enough use/benefit.

So as of today I'm going back to the old tried-and-true method of doing things with my hands (and my trusty X-Acto knife!), having patience, accepting the shortcomings of my cutting skills, and enjoying the hobby.

And I've come to realize that I don't want a hobby where I can just push a button and out comes a perfect finished model .. I want to spend time perfecting skills, building/improving models, and enjoying my handy work (not the handy work of a machine doing things for me).

Now .. FINALLY .. back to that Hawker Typhoon Mk 1B model plane where this whole adventure began.

Dave/2209Driver
Old 09-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Have you looked into one of the Silhouette machines?
Google Adsense