PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 AM

Location: Lived with my wife aboard a small sailboat since 1991
Total Downloaded: 6.36 MB
Your method looks like the answer I should have been looking for. Mine works for the kind of folk art style I was doing, but nowhere near the finish and smoothness of what you have achieved. For others on this thread, I highly recommend trying out the process but I believe Gil has refined it to a level I never dreamed of, and I intend to try it myself. Over to you my friend, with great respect
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Aha, I understand now. You mentioned models 25 years old. That is interesting, would you have a picture? This might be a very good idea.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Older Models using foil and paper

Here are a few from the early 1990s. I made dozens of them, sold quite a few and gave a bunch away. The laminate is too thick for smaller scales with fine detail, but works great for the kind of stuff you can sell or give away that will not shed parts if they fall over. I wondered if this was the right forum to post this in, as I cheat using everything PVA will stick to. Cork, gasket material, mat board, linen, and just about anything else but plastic, which I avoid entirely.. That said, I use acrylic paint and cover almost everything with several coats of clear acrylic UV resistant varnish. I like to make things that last, and if I had a shop metal would be my first choice, though paper is a very close second, and doesn't rust. I was hoping to find someone to try my material and maybe improve it, but Gil has a far better process and perhaps your time would be better spent following his tutorial. I would very much like to see some models made using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc08907.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_1451_1.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_1471.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_1492.jpg  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:57 AM

a cautionary tale

This is what can happen if you get carried away with your hobby. I made my first model boat on my own boat, Pangea, pictured below. A friend offered to pay me if I built one for him. A few others saw it and wanted one too, even at the price I quoted to scare them off. More orders and more price increases sent me in search of a shop to build them in. Handy with a hacksaw and files, I made some dies, jigs and special tools out of aluminum and brass, quit everything else I was doing and started cranking them out. I got fancy, and instead of paper and aluminum foil I offered brass ( shim stock ) and linen for those who had too much money to spend. I had about sixteen delivered, a dozen more partly completed and a waiting list beyond the foreseeable future, right before the bottom fell out in 2008 and my market dried up faster than my final coat of varnish. A month or so ago I picked up some mat board and art paper and roughed in my Electra cockpit, the first time I have cut a nice piece of paper since.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminating card and aluminum foil-shirley-i-married-1994-lived-boat-17-years.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-older-model-288.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-older-model-328.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_4921.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_4628.jpg  

Laminating card and aluminum foil-img_4602.jpg  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Smallcraftmaster - what an excellent concept! Thank you very much for this.

Gil - thank you also for your link to an equally excellent tutorial!
Old 12-04-2019, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Your models of the 90's indeed look crisp and new. Very effective.
I noticed a very intriguing piece of equipment in the 4th photo. What is it? What can you do with it? I can also see more interesting machineries in the last two photo's. Can you describe them?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 490.82 MB
great idea, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM

To answer your questions Scon10, the large item in the fourth photo is a mat board strip cutter, as I needed a lot of them for the little ferry boats, and this cut them fast and of uniform size. The rest of the stuff was all jigs and dies to make the boats match the originals. There are no bulkheads or any other interior support within the design, making it very difficult to model in almost any material but plastic, which I do not use. Paper/ foil was stiff enough, but my first ones did not match the shape exactly, and the setup in the pictures let me get all the angles right . I like building things in metal too, and may have got carried away with that as well...........if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Thanks very much for your interest and I also want to thank everyone else following this thread, as I am a recent newcomer here and was not sure if my techniques were within the parameters. Apparently so, and thanks again to all
Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well within the parameters!

I went through the same market story you had with ships in bottles!