PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: Lived with my wife aboard a small sailboat since 1991
Total Downloaded: 6.36 MB
Laminating card and aluminum foil

My initial post a few days ago on “ another approach.” is exactly that. A different way of using paper to make a scale model. The photos of my harbour ferries may look a bit more like plastic than paper, but they are ink jet printed, acrylic painted and varnished paper, from stem to stern. Not a purist, I use wire, jewelry findings, beads and my most essential ingredient, regular aluminum foil to achieve what I want, a model as durable as artwork. Laminating the foil and paper produces a material similar to tin, with the huge advantage of print, paint and acrylic compatibility and best of all, white glue adhesion. It is impervious to moisture, strong, inexpensive and easy to make. The pictures show the process. Do both sides of the foil with the Weldbond and toilet paper, keep the roller wet so the tissue does not stick to it, press hard as you roll and allow the laminate to cure for at least a week, the longer the better. The treated foil can then be used to back paper card. Thicker card works best, my choice was Daler Cover Paper. Use for larger areas only, as delamination can occur if cut too small for detail parts, or bent sharply. Read the photo sequence top/bottom top/ bottom left to right
Attached Thumbnails
Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc088982.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089002.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089022.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089032.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-x10c.jpg  

Last edited by smallcraftmaster; 12-01-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake and picture sequence
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2019, 12:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I'm a bit surprised the toilet paper doesn't quickly disintegrate. That ferry looks grand.
And cross-referencing the ferry photo to "It is impervious to moisture" has me wondering if any boats are made floatable? Years ago the was a Yahoo group for people who liked to make floatable cardboard boats.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 AM

short answer

Too late at night...........another mistaken post

Last edited by smallcraftmaster; 12-02-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the gracious comment and the question. The toilet paper does disintegrate, forming a matrix that bonds to the foil far better than a contiguous material like paper, the reason for wetting the roller. Boats would definitely float, but are not likely to be let out of their cases. I built sixteen of them and don't own one because I couldn't afford it. Seriously though, a good question and because the foil paper laminate is strong and will accept any finish, permanent waterproofing could be applied. Thanks again for asking.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 168.46 MB
You do both sides of foil with toilet paper?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Laminating card and aluminum foil

I may not have been clear enough in my first post, so here is a more complete description.
The toilet paper, and I forgot to mention the plys must be separated so you use single ply only, is glued to both sides of the foil. Once cured, at least a week, the foil can now be glued directly onto a sheet of pre printed card. What you now have is a sheet of metal that can be inked, painted, varnished or even water colored. You can't fold a sharp corner, but you can make a perfect butt joint and even fill it with a little white glue mixed with acrylic paint. Your
model is now not only tough and durable, but can be painted, detailed and weathered much easier and better than a plastic model because you are using fine art materials on a paper surface that will accept wet media the same as a painting. Using wire, thin stips of cloth and doubling up joints, your bullet proof paper model can be varnished with acrylic or any medium you choose. Weldbond thinned with a little water can be painted over everything as it dries water clear. The harbour ferries are not fragile, and no detail could be removed without cutting it off. The effort can pay off, as what was once a model to add to your collection is now exactly the same as a three dimensional painting. A valuable work of art.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
You said to glue both sides of the aluminium foil with a sheet of toiletpaper. When you then glue one side to cardboard paper, how can you see a metal surface on the other side? Wouldn't you just be looking at the other sheet of toilet paper? Or do you peel of that sheet?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:49 PM

Best question so far, and one I should have foreseen. This is not a means of creating a metal surface, but a way to make the paper behave more like metal. It is in effect, a metal foil sandwich with paper or card on one side and tissue on the other so you can build with it like paper but manipulate it to hold a shape, the same as metal. The paper now has a backing, and will not be affected by moisture or the application of varnish or paint. And white glue is all you need to hold it together.Hope that makes sense, but you would probably need to make a sheet of it to see for yourself. Not everyone wants to make paper models that will outlive their grandchildren, but for those who do, this will work. My early ones are twenty five years old and look like the day I built them.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
How to Make Aluminum Clad Card Stock Tutorial

@smallcraftmaster,

Great work. The ferry has a great "toy like" quality that's hard to achieve in paper alone. For your reference I posted a tutorial on aluminum to paper bonding 12 years ago that's here :

How to Make Aluminum Clad Card Stock

Best,

-Gil
Old 12-02-2019, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
Thank you for the exposition of this technique. I have seen paper model templates used to build models from plastic card or soda-can aluminum, but here you have developed a home-made composite material for modeling. I may take a while to think through the implications, but the idea makes me happy.
Google Adsense