PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Printer vs. Cardstock

My HP Envy 4500 printer does a great job printing models, but it has one notable flaw: It doesn't feed cardstock very well. The card often stalls just at the point where it has to bend around a corner inside the printer. The result is that the image is partly "printed" off the page or not printed at all.

I solved the problem by making a "paper pusher" or "cheater" to feed each sheet of cardstock. It's made of scrap 1mm card. Instructions and a full-size template are below.

It takes just a short push to get the card around the corner. It works well with 65-lb, 80-lb, and 110-lb cardstock. The only disadvantage is that I have to feed each sheet individually, so printing multiple sheets takes a little longer. But it beats wasting card and ink on misprints.
Attached Thumbnails
Printer vs. Cardstock-cheater-p1.jpg   Printer vs. Cardstock-cheater-p2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I heard from Canada Computers store guy that many of the new,skinny,compact printers have issues printing on some types of paper but I'm not sure how is that helper suppose to work.You push/force cardstock into printer with it?
Old 12-18-2019, 05:47 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Yes, that is what the tool does, and David mentions he only uses a single sheet at a time
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Can you not feed paper through the rear access? so it doesn't have to make the loop?
Many printers allow you to open the rear and flat feed a single sheet.
Its the only way I can feed thicker card, photo paper, etc. through my printer.

You might also try opening the printer and checking/cleaning the paper feed rollers.
When they become well used, dirty, overheated, etc...
they get smooth and glossy and slip and don't grip the paper well.
I use lighter fluid, but you can also use pure alcohol to clean them.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
My HP Envy 4500 printer does a great job printing models, but it has one notable flaw: It doesn't feed cardstock very well. The card often stalls just at the point where it has to bend around a corner inside the printer. The result is that the image is partly "printed" off the page or not printed at all.

I solved the problem by making a "paper pusher" or "cheater" to feed each sheet of cardstock. It's made of scrap 1mm card. Instructions and a full-size template are below.

It takes just a short push to get the card around the corner. It works well with 65-lb, 80-lb, and 110-lb cardstock. The only disadvantage is that I have to feed each sheet individually, so printing multiple sheets takes a little longer. But it beats wasting card and ink on misprints.
Had similar issues when feeding cardstock through HP 450c Designjet plotter.

FIX: Steam Ironed the leading edge two days before printing, gave it a nice curve for feeding. (lightest setting for steam, not the high heat one) Rolled into a tube shape 3-4" dia and then release to get curve.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Be careful.

If the printer has a bypass tray then use this - as Dave suggests.

But you cannot stuff paper or card into a printer regardless - printers are only are made for specific sizes.

Look online for the specs if you don't have the manual.

I suspect that those of you having issues are using thicker material then the machine is designed for. Most smaller machines will not accept material thicker then 160grms and many smaller machines not even this!

Note if you force paper or card in you will eventually damage the hot rollers and wreck printing quality, eventually damaging the machine. The thicker stuff is not going through easily, as the machine is not designed for it! Or there is a fault in the machine.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:08 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Be careful.

If the printer has a bypass tray then use this - as Dave suggests.

But you cannot stuff paper or card into a printer regardless - printers are only are made for specific sizes.

Look online for the specs if you don't have the manual.

I suspect that those of you having issues are using thicker material then the machine is designed for. Most smaller machines will not accept material thicker then 160grms and many smaller machines not even this!

Note if you force paper or card in you will eventually damage the hot rollers and wreck printing quality, eventually damaging the machine. The thicker stuff is not going through easily, as the machine is not designed for it! Or there is a fault in the machine.
I'm not "stuffing cardstock" into my printer. The printer handles the paper just fine once it gets started. And it handled 110# card just fine when it was new. It does not have a bypass tray.

I agree that if your printer hangs up when the card feeds over the print heads, it's not designed for cardstock. But that wasn't my problem.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Sakrison, regardless, I still would not try and "push" the paper in - rather just have it serviced and repaired, or at today's prices (I can find a new model at 44.00 USD) buy another one. I am not familiar with the physical printer but looking at it the pictures quickly it APPEARS to use a straight paper path and so worn parts MAY be the issue if it has had a lot of use!

If you are handly and know what part is affected one place you can get parts here - HP parts for A9T80A envy 4500 e-all-in-one printer

---------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the paper specs it takes it says "200 grams or 120lb Index" (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03755986).

Note the "Index". If you are using paper in lbs you MAY be using too heavier a paper - you should only be using INDEX (hopefully you are).

As you will know the US paper sizes in lbs have different weights and thicknesses for the same weight (!) - 120 lb ranges up to 325 grams depending on the type. Out of the various paper types "text" stock is thinner than "cover" stock. "Cover" stock will thus cause issues and the paper path will not handle the paper properly.

-------------------------------------

TIP: For anyone reading this who struggles in the USA to find comparable paper to the European GSM sizes, remember that Metric paper has a standard grammage thickness.

So, buy a simple pair of callipers, and then order in the USA from the relevant paper manufacturer, a Book Paper Sample Pack or a Business Card Sample Pack. You can then measure the sample to ensure you will be buying the right thickness.

Last edited by Kevin WS; 12-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 has a "heavy paper" print option.
It prints on 110Lb cardstock with no problem.
If I had realized how BIG it was, I would not have ordered it.
It takes up a lot of space.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I have an HP 7740 and had this problem, but have found that if I use the "thick paper" setting on best quality it works fine. If you are printing from a program like a pdf reader those settings can be found under properties on the dialog box that pops up when you can select the pages you are about to print.

Mike
Google Adsense