PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.29 MB
My neck!!

Hello all,
I didn't see an obvious place to post this question, so I thought I'd try here. I've been working with paper card models since 2016. I usually sit down and work for an hour or two before having to stretch my neck and back. Even then, I get some tightening around the back of my neck because I'm hunched over the model, especially when cutting pieces out. I'm in my mid-50s so age is probably a factor. Has anyone come up with any techniques or ideas to help with this problem? I love this hobby and to be quite serious, the neck/back pain are the only negative aspects of working with paper models. Plastic kits don't seem to require this much intensity.
Thank you!!!
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2020, 11:17 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
One thing you could do, is actually two things
If you have an adjustable chair, lower it all the way down, and if possible, raise the table height, now your head and cutting surface are closer together, allowing you to look at the parts without having to bend your neck all the time.

There are times where I lower my seat height, to get a better look at the parts, and it helps with my neck and upper back

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
All the stuff Rick suggests.

Chair, posture, try a cervical cushion on the chair.

It also sounds like it is seriously becoming a worry to you, so if that is the case a visit to a doctor may not be out of place just for peace of mind.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
My modelling surface is on top of a 4 drawer file cabinet, so it is just below eye level and I am standing rather than sitting bent over.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Watchmakers and jewelers worked at high benches sitting on low adjustable stools that put their work at eye level. While you could go to a jewellery supply house and buy a custom bench or get lucky and find one on eBay or Craig's list that is not far from you, you could get the same effect by raising your work table with stacked 2 by 4 s or bricks and visiting an office surplus store to look for an adjustable height chair with a short column.
Also go to an office supply store and look at ergonomic work stations, then figure out how you could asjust your work surface and chair height to get the same effect.

What you want to do is bring your projects up to you by adjusting your chair height so that you can keep your neck and back upright, rather than having to bend over to bring yourself to the level of your project.
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.29 MB
Thank you all for the great information. I'll make some changes right away!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
My modelling surface is on top of a 4 drawer file cabinet, so it is just below eye level and I am standing rather than sitting bent over.

I really almost wish I hadn't read that. It flashed into my mind that I could work on things between calls, but then reality hit. If I moved my building surface to the tops of my filing cabinets, I would really get less done for business.

But it is a great idea, just counterproductive for me

As far as the question at hand, one of the things about cutting that has come up, is muscle memory. When cutting you want to be in a comfortable position, and move the paper to make the next comfortable cut. At my work station, I have a chair and TV tray set to where I can do that, with my head in a very comfortable position to see what I am doing. It will take some experimenting to get things in an optimal position, but when you get it right, you will know it. Until you get it right, take frequent breaks. Keeping your neck in the wrong position for too long is probably the problem. When cutting, I find I tense a lot of muscles not actually used in cutting, because I don't want to accidentally shift to a wrong position. Once you get things worked out as far as position, cutting will be more fluid and natural, and you probably won't be tensing your neck as much.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
One must suffer for the art!

I just try to take a break when my rear gets numb and my fingers start to sting.

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 68.03 MB
I got an IKEA adjustable desk last year, and it was worth it. It's designed to be used as a sitting or standing desk, but I never stand at it. I keep my chair adjusted up high, and I usually keep the desk at about the middle of my chest. Occasionally I lower the desk, if I'm using my laptop, but for model building, it's great up high.
Attached Thumbnails
My neck!!-edfkijhvuaai9kj.jpg  

Last edited by ridetheory; 02-24-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
https://www.blitzresults.com/en/ergonomic/

Theres definitely a right way and a wrong way...

Alan
Google Adsense

Tags
back, chair, neck, pain, posture