PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 05-25-2020, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Source of card modelling board 0.5, 10. 1.5, 2.0mm

Hello all,

I need a supply of card in the 4 thicknesses. Contacted Fentens and Modelizmas and they say they only have 1.omm.

Any idea where I might get the 4 thicknesses from one supplier online in Europe?

I am going to make Sharunas's Mauretania and Canberra.

Thanks,

Alan
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well for the most part I laminate different sources until I get the desired thickness using various weights of paper and cardstock as well as cereal boxes, backs of paper pads, etc. It is difficult to find some readily available commercial stock at the desired thickness,

It helps if you have a digital caliper. You can find some for relatively cheap prices in the USA, probably the same in Europe.

Spray adhesive is good for the laminations. Place the lamination under some heavy weight to help keep it flat.

Here is a thread discussing another method of laminating.
Necroscoping for Laminations
Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You really only need the first two thicknesses listed, as 2 - 1mm sheets make a 2mm sheet, and 1 - 1mm sheet and 1 - 0.5 mm sheet make a 1.5 mm sheet.

all glued together with a high quality spray adhesive, I like 3M's Super 77, your selection might be different

but if you have your heart set on those specific thicknesses, check out our friends at JSC (International webstore) or GPM • modele kartonowe and probably other Polish online stores for the sheets you want
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Craft supply stores, artist supply stores (and some office supply stores) carry various thicknesses of cardboard, poster board and foam core, many types of glues and adhesives in bottles, tubes and spray cans, and a big assortment of applicators from rollers to squeegees.
You should be able to find material of the thickness and stiffness that you need.
I have used both thick poster board and foam core to make the internal formers for models.

You can cut thick materials with a fine tooth jig saw or jewelers saw or use a utility knife if there are no tight curves and you are very careful about where you put your fingers.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Well for the most part I laminate different sources until I get the desired thickness using various weights of paper and cardstock as well as cereal boxes, backs of paper pads, etc. It is difficult to find some readily available commercial stock at the desired thickness,

It helps if you have a digital caliper. You can find some for relatively cheap prices in the USA, probably the same in Europe.

Spray adhesive is good for the laminations. Place the lamination under some heavy weight to help keep it flat.

Here is a thread discussing another method of laminating.
Necroscoping for Laminations
Hi Doug,
Yes, I had thought of that, its just I need quite a lot and my experience thus far is that being a tad fussy at the start tends to pay off in the later stages, therefore was looking for a uniform stock. Could be in serious trouble when the coco pops character is nowhere to be seen, know what I mean?!
Am kicking myself I didn't pick up the digital caliper in LIDL when I last saw one.
Thanks for the tip about the spray for laminations (picked up a batch for a great deal in LIDL not so long ago! And that another great tip re the weights too..
Likely I will contact Bart at JSC, see if he can help maybe...
Thanks again Doug!
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
You really only need the first two thicknesses listed, as 2 - 1mm sheets make a 2mm sheet, and 1 - 1mm sheet and 1 - 0.5 mm sheet make a 1.5 mm sheet.

all glued together with a high quality spray adhesive, I like 3M's Super 77, your selection might be different

but if you have your heart set on those specific thicknesses, check out our friends at JSC (International webstore) or GPM • modele kartonowe and probably other Polish online stores for the sheets you want
Hi Rick,
Thank you very much! Yes, this is obviously the way forward. Why didn't I think of that - doh!
I'll try them both, see what happens - Bart has been great with any questions..
Thanks!
Alan
Old 05-25-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Craft supply stores, artist supply stores (and some office supply stores) carry various thicknesses of cardboard, poster board and foam core, many types of glues and adhesives in bottles, tubes and spray cans, and a big assortment of applicators from rollers to squeegees.
You should be able to find material of the thickness and stiffness that you need.
I have used both thick poster board and foam core to make the internal formers for models.

You can cut thick materials with a fine tooth jig saw or jewelers saw or use a utility knife if there are no tight curves and you are very careful about where you put your fingers.
Hi John,
Thanks also for your reply. Everythings closed for the foreseeable...
Great idea about the jigsaw, I did see a tutorial on youtube where the guy basically peppered the circumference with a zillion little stabs with a scalpel but I might unearth my jigsaw for the occasion!
Hopefully it won't be too long till it's all open again!
Thanks John, really appreciate your tips!
Alan
Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Cereal boxes and cracker boxes are about 0.5mm in the US.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
also look in comic book stores for "backerboard" they are usually .3 - .5 mil, and acid free.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I buy all my thicker card on ebay, my local office supply shops have different gsm rated cards that are all weird thicknesses like 0.67mm etc.

Then, like Rick suggested, I laminate to get the desired thicknesses over 1mm. Spray adhesive and a good flat weight, leave it overnight or longer.

Although, since you're in Europe, maybe check out GPM I'm always seeing 1mm, 0.5mm etc card on their site but the postage cost to Australia rules that out for me.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense