PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-12-2020, 04:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Thanks, but I am now a little bit confused with the different types of varnish.
If I understand correctly, there are PU and Nitro-based varnishes, which one is to use? And can it be applied by brush or spray bottle?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
I use enamel to paint my paper models. I use Shellac to prime it before I paint it.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackarrow View Post
Thanks for great advice there.

jaffro, which clear coat / primer would you recommend if I am going to paint model using acrylic paint (Revell Aqua Color) afterwards? Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I've had a lot going on lately.

I use Vallejo primer on my models although I've recently purchased a new laquer based primer/surfacer for plastic models that I'd like to try on paper as it dries almost instantly.

As for clear coats, again, I prefer acrylics but it depends if you intend to apply weathering on top. Some types of weathering have bad reactions with some types of clear. By "weathering" i'm talking about enamel based washes and oils, which are generally applied then cleaned up or thinned with thinners/solvents. Mostly a plastic model technique but I use it on paper as well. I'm probably making this reply more long winded and confusing than it needs to be. The whole subject of painting and weathering can lead you down an incredibly confusing rabbit hole if you let it (which I have).

If you just want to seal a model after painting, or even not painting it, I'd just suggest any type of acrylic clear coat, they come in gloss, matt/flat or satin finishes, which can all be used depending on the finished result you desire. If you're sealing a model that's not been painted, you want to use something that's acid free, so it doesn't leech the printer ink and ruin your model.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000