PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 07-27-2020, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Printing ABC-Magazine, electronic publication

The other day I passed along a message in the Czech F1-Cashpickforum about a 1/24 model of the Auto Union Type A:

*CLICK*

Being interested I decided to order this magazine not as a print, but as electronic publication.
After some hassling with a little payment using Google-translator, I received a link to dwonload/view the magazine. It al worked fine.
But I want to build the model... Where to find a print-button or similar? My Czech is "not good enough" and some pageparts where not translated.
Next was ask in the Cashpickforum and also an email tot the webshop where I bought it. From them I received this answer:

Hello,
the license terms do not allow the download of e-magazines (for example .pdf). Therefore, they can only be read in a reader - it is not possible to print it.
You can try to make a screenshoot of screen, save it as an image and then print it.
Unfortunately, there is no other possibility.
Have a nice day,

With printscreen and cut&paste I managed to get the model in a decent way, but it takes time.
What I'm hoping for is someone to point me to a program/app/site which make it possible to get the modelpages directly out of the magazine-file to print it wel.

Who knows?

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Willem.

I've spent a lot of time looking through ABC's web site using chrome's translator and I must say it's not easy. I can understand the point about receiving pdfs and how information could get lost in translation.

All the kits are available, but they are original pages from the magazines. I wanted to make one of the kits and asked someone to scan the pages and send them. He said that was not legal but would be happy to send the pages.

So I would recomment this site.

https://shop.papermodel.cz/

Miroslav runs it and can get almost any kit you want.

Slavonic Fortified Settlement

This will give you more background. His English is very good and he's very helpful.

I've made a few ABC historic racers, they are a bit basic but go together well.

The ABC site sells the magazines and I think, will post them to other countries - having said that the magazines and the postage are quite expensive - and you'd have to know which magazine you want.

PM me if you want any more information

Cheers
Mike

Good luck
Mike
Old 07-28-2020, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
They avoid PDF because its a lot easier to redistribute a PDF without permission.

If the magazine is only available as a .epub or other e-reader compatible format
then you'll need to find an e-reader software that allows for page printing.
I don't know what e-readers offer this feature...many only tolerate screengrabs/screenshots.

Screengrabs are great, but limited to your actual screen resolution (at full screen view).
Turning the view sideways allows you to use more screen for the viewable page
and increase the overall pixel dimensions of the page.

One option is to zoom in and view a portion of the page...maybe one quarter.
Screengrab it, and then move to another quarter, but don't adjust the zoom in level.
Screengrab the entire page in quarters all at the same zoom(scale),
then reassemble those images in a graphics program to create a much higher pixel resolution image.
Then save it as a jpeg for printing.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thanks all for the reactions.

Indeed is the only solution/workaround to make screenshots at as high zoom possible, which is in this case 400%. It took around 10 screenshots and cut&paste to get a decent file of each page. Timeconsuming, but doable.

Possible soon you'll see the model in build!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a program called Image Composite Editor offered by Microsoft that will stitch together a series of images to make one whole one.
Microsoft ICE
If you do not like to use MS programs or can't use them do a search for an image/photo stitching program.
Google Adsense