PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-16-2020, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.98 MB
how best to do aluminum skin aircraft

Want to do a B-29 which is shiny aluminum and the aluminum colored paper does not cut it.

What do the experts suggest?
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
I saw just the other day that Joanne's (a sewing and craft store back here in the East) has a new line of paper. Included is a very shiny silver indeed. But its $1.25 a sheet. No idea if it can be printed on. Maybe a paper cutter like the Silhouette or crickut can cut it without printing. How is that for justifying new toys to buy?

I used to see a double sided silver and gold paper, in much bigger sheets that I used for a B17, but not sure if they still carry it. that paper was ok to print on. Not very shiny, though.

This topic comes up every three years whether needed or not, so there are some of us interested...
Old 10-16-2020, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 185.34 MB
Silver Leaf

Check this out....https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15

This may solve your problem. It may take a bit of practice to get the hang of applying it though. Try thin coat of spray glue first, apply to that. The leaf is called "silver" but in fact it is aluminum. Very shiny, and EXTREMELY thin. Try using a a wide brush. rub the brush on a piece of wool to pick up a static charge and then lift the leak up and lay over glue. Smooth out with soft cloth
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg48 View Post
Check this out....https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15

This may solve your problem. It may take a bit of practice to get the hang of applying it though. Try thin coat of spray glue first, apply to that. The leaf is called "silver" but in fact it is aluminum. Very shiny, and EXTREMELY thin. Try using a a wide brush. rub the brush on a piece of wool to pick up a static charge and then lift the leak up and lay over glue. Smooth out with soft cloth
Interesting- wonder if I could laser print on it ?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Check this thread out. Gil has probably did more experimenting with aluminum finish on paper models then anyone.

How to Make Aluminum Clad Card Stock
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2020, 03:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
I have used "Bare metal foil" on a couple of models.

It's mainly aimed at plastic modellers but works well on paper. I've found that it's thin enough to burnish

It's self adhesive so a bit of practice on plain paper may be a good idea.

Cheers
Mike
Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Product OL175SF - Silver Foil Laser - 8.5" x 11" Full Sheet Label With 1 Vertical Bac

I found this on line and it works great in my laser printer (except the blue may flake a bit in large area.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol175sf

I simply laser print then put the label on normal paper. works and looks great!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
A friend of mine have used a laser cutter to remove some of the issues associated with silver paper.

Details including rivets and panel lines are laser cut and not printed (put a layer of office paper on top of the silver surface, or it will be too reflective to cut properly). Any numberings or other colours are jigsawed together using different coloured paper. A much more consistent surface finish can be achieved this way. I will ask my friend for some photos of the build.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Not easily accomplished though not impossible...,

AluClad paper that was developed in my tutorial requires special treatment in order to print with an inkjet on the surface. It requires that the aluminum be anodized prior to it being bonded to the papers back surface.

Inkjet coatings remove the "look" or the reason for using aluminum in the first place. Ideally a white background would first be printed on the surface before adding color in those areas where large areas of color are required. I think it would be easier to use decals instead. As you might guess this runs the gamut of problems eliminating this being an easy task for the hobby modeler.

The anodization process produces microscopic holes in the aluminum surface allowing the inkjet liquid to penetrate into the surface.

I haven't had the time to prepare a tutorial on the process as time has been at premium for the last several years. The other part is that this is something that requires pool chemicals and a DC power supply. It would be easier to find a source for anodized aluminum foil and sell that by the roll but that's a new ball of wax attached to another rat hole...,

Best regards,

-Gil
Old 10-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
I am testing different silver papers to build Atlas D rockets. You can check my Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper thread under PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration section.

This week I received my samples of the Online Labels silver labels, both Ink-Jet and Laser and have started my 4th test build with them. There are some thing I want to try when I build the models that I've learned from the previous test builds. It may be a week or two before I have finished the test build and are ready to post the results.

Will you be printing the patterns with a Ink-Jet printer or a laser printer?

What scale are you planning to make the B-29?

Can the pattern be downloaded or is it purchased?

Once I get all the issues resolved using the Silver labels, I am thinking about trying to build a plane with it. A B-29 may be too detailed for my first project.
Google Adsense