PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 10-25-2020, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Last night, I spent a couple hours searching various sites for silver surfaced cardstock. Dozens of variations exist, some with high mirror surfaces, others looking more like silver painted paper. A few acid free options exist. That was not the case ten years ago!

The manufacturer often states that their silver cardstock will work in a laser printer. Since a laser printer melts small pellets of plastic onto the target surface, this makes some sense. Unfortunately, laser prints often crack or flake when bent or rolled. The severity of this problem depends upon a lot of variables. Card modelers regularly report success so the problem is definitely not universal.

In almost all cases, the manufacturer states that their silver cardstock will not work in an inkjet printer because the ink smears before it dries. One or two manufacturers state an inkjet printer may work but the results vary greatly from printer to printer. Printers designed to print on heavy stock will have a great advantage here. User comments often include one or two examples of successful inkjet printing, usually with the caveat that the ink was allowed to dry for a protracted period before handling.

A few different Inkjet Precoats exist. These allow printing on almost anything after applying a thin precoat varnish and allowing it to dry for about 24 hours. Obviously, a precoat will alter the reflectivity of the material so if you want a mirror smooth metal surface, a precoat will not work.

A few of the Halinski models I own were printed in silver. I am fairly certain some of the newer silver cardstocks could produce a similar effect, especially using a laser printer. For a true metal finish, as often seen on well done plastic models, I think Gil's method would come closest. I have tried Gil's method, along with the 'jigsaw' assembly method mentioned by Lex, with some success. Those sorts of materials and assembly methods belong firmly in the category of high end skills.

In sum, technology continues to march forward, options exist, many of us continue to test stuff, and I am not aware of any silver bullet to solve the problem. Ahem.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
The Ultimate Pursuit | Natural Aluminum Finish

This photo stands as the ultimate goal in natural aluminum finish through inkjet and water slide decals:

Persistence, attention to detail and an obsessive compulsion to excellence are the only things preventing the finale of this artform..., sigh...,

-Gil
Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
This photo stands as the ultimate goal in natural aluminum finish through inkjet and water slide decals:

Persistence, attention to detail and an obsessive compulsion to excellence are the only things preventing the finale of this artform..., sigh...,

-Gil
Still, it's worth trying. If I obsessed TOO much over my 1939 Luscombe I'd never fly it...
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard11 View Post
I am testing different silver papers to build Atlas D rockets. You can check my Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper thread under PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration section.

This week I received my samples of the Online Labels silver labels, both Ink-Jet and Laser and have started my 4th test build with them. There are some thing I want to try when I build the models that I've learned from the previous test builds. It may be a week or two before I have finished the test build and are ready to post the results.

Will you be printing the patterns with a Ink-Jet printer or a laser printer?

What scale are you planning to make the B-29?

Can the pattern be downloaded or is it purchased?

Once I get all the issues resolved using the Silver labels, I am thinking about trying to build a plane with it. A B-29 may be too detailed for my first project.
I am doing the simple (but very nice) fiddler's green B-29 - then the B-36! the silver label work great. seems the flaking only occurs sometimes and a simple reprint and it sticks! so far so good.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
I'm glad the silver labels are working well for you. It is nice to be able to stick them on different weight paper; bond, card stock, etc. I assume you are using a laser printer. Is it a color laser printer or B&W? I am still looking to test the labels with a color laser printer.

I model in a smaller scale and have to handle the models more than if they were in a larger scale. I find that I am rubbing some of the toner off the silver label. I am looking into using a sealant after printing the pattern and before I start building it.

What brand silver labels are you using? I am testing SheetLabels.com and Online Labels. They will send samples to test their labels if you request them.

Looking forward to seeing your finished models. I will have to get out of my comfort zone and try to build a plane out of silver paper/labels.
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard11 View Post
I'm glad the silver labels are working well for you. It is nice to be able to stick them on different weight paper; bond, card stock, etc. I assume you are using a laser printer. Is it a color laser printer or B&W? I am still looking to test the labels with a color laser printer.

I model in a smaller scale and have to handle the models more than if they were in a larger scale. I find that I am rubbing some of the toner off the silver label. I am looking into using a sealant after printing the pattern and before I start building it.

What brand silver labels are you using? I am testing SheetLabels.com and Online Labels. They will send samples to test their labels if you request them.

Looking forward to seeing your finished models. I will have to get out of my comfort zone and try to build a plane out of silver paper/labels.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol175sf
Old 11-10-2020, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 362.87 MB
I have started posting my 4th test build using the OnlineLabels.com sample Silver foil labels for both InkJet and Laser printers in the Atlas D in 1:240 scale printed on silver paper thread under PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration section.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Silver Metallic Photo Media

The ultimate shiny aluminum look? The best I found was some wall paper. Silver Chrome Mirror wall paper that I bought from China, a few years ago. Had to coat it with a product that once dry allows you to print using an inkjet printer. Sticky back, glue would not stick to it very well. Aleene's almost worked, super glue did work.

Tomorrow expecting the roll of 300gsm MOAB Slickrock Sliver Metallic that was purchased on Saturday. Not cheap but gives a really interesting look for aluminum. Going to build a 7ft long F104 Starfighter. (24"x50ft = $217.00 includes shipping)

Some photos of Three different types of silver metallic "Photo" paper. Simply Elegant on the left, MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver in the middle and MOAB Slickrock Chrome Gloss on the right. Very slight silver/chrome hue, really, really shiny: how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0975.jpg

Simply Elegant Pure Silver bought on-line from ITsolutions. 24"x100ft roll was $178 back in 2014. Finally getting it out for a project. They sell several different combos of sheets, plus you can order a sample pack as well.

Simply Elegant really changes how the ink looks. The following photos show how shiny it is, but don't do the colors any justice. They really look cool. As you might tell, I have an interesting project planned.

Notice the colors used, golds and gray/silver are the main colors. Gray and silver look the same color, what sets them apart is the contrast as you can see from the photos.

This is some serious shiny paper, it does look exactly like silver metal flake/glitter.

Simply Elegant 260gsm photo paper-you need to seal this with a spray sealant:

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0976.jpg

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0979.jpg

MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver. Colors look almost 3D on this media. It is not paper, but some kind of plastic. Yep, going to make a 7ft long F104 Starfighter. It will be a "plastic" model. 300GSM. Really shiny stuff has a "gray" tint that darkens it more than shiny aluminum would look, however it is really close to the right look.

MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver (300gsm)-no sealant needed [yes, it really is that shiny!]:

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0977.jpg

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0980.jpg

MOAB Chrome Gloss (270gsm):

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0978.jpg

how best to do aluminum skin aircraft-pict0981.jpg

Please note: The printer used for these is an HP Designjet T120 wide format plotter/printer. It can handle these heavy weight print jobs. My Brother all-in-one 11x17 copier, scanner can handle the Simply Elegant 260gsm without any issues. Not sure about the slickrock.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 11-10-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: heavy weight note
Old 11-10-2020, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post

-Gil
Hi Gil,

The MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver matches the area between the rondel and the lettering on your photo. Almost looks like a perfect match. Just held the sheet up to my screen.

Mike
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM

P-47 using aluminum labels

aluminum really came out nice irrespective of my building skills. enhanced fiddlers green p-47. Will hang in my newborn son's room.

found out super glue works well for attaching wings, etc., where it is metal-to-metal. also, can use tape to pull out compressed wing areas - sort of like popping dent...

B-29 is next...
Google Adsense