PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Glossy Cardstock

I just purchased Will Aldridge's #57 Super Corsair from Christopher Gutzmer's shop, ECardmodels.com, and decided that this beautiful red and white bird deserved a glossy finish. After kicking around some ideas such as varnishing matte cardstock or gloss coating the finished model, I had the good fortune of calling Kinko's to see if they had glossy photo paper in 8 1/2x 11. They said no, but that they had glossy CARDSTOCK! I went down and printed all the exterior panel pages on the glossy cardstock, and it came out looking awesome. I'll post some pics when I get some of it built, because the flat sheets don't really show the shine well. The best part is, since I had it printed on their highest quality, behind-the-counter printer, the ink seems to be waterproof. I wasn't able to get it to smudge, even with straight water, so a misplaced blob of glue should be easy to clean up.
It was an extra expense, but well worth it, if you are going to build a shiny bird.
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

Glossy cardstock is awesome when you can find it, especially at the right weight (and price!).
Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Let us know how it glues together.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
Interesting thread. I too have printed a model onto high gloss card stock; I wanted the model to have a very sharp print.
The major difficulty I have found is indeed the folding. All the folds have to be carried from the non-printed side and it is a fine line between a suitable fold/crease and cutting through. I've found that this needn't be a disaster because the card stock is quite thick and it is possible to abut edges without tabs if you do cut clean through.
On the glue front I've found that a really sticky 'tacky' glue works well but glue both sides and let them dry out slightly then press together and hold. It works for me. However in order to get the pressure on both sides you might need to re-work the order of the construction to ensure you can get a grip, so to speak. Where necessary I've used super glue but only on the glossy side - it doesn't soak in.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
any photos of the progress?
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
Glossy cardstock

As requested I've attached some piccies of the Pompidou model printed out onto high gloss photo card stock; the original just looked a little flat and I fancied having a go with different stock.

p7 gives some idea of the general model. Look closely and you'll see at the base the way the card 'bows' out. This will be fixed with base pieces but it demonstrates the strength of photo card stock.

p3 shows how difficult it is to make a right angle edge. It takes real pressure to hold the card in place, again given its inherent strength, and then you run the risk of damaging other parts of the card. I see no real alternative than superglue for fixing these parts. You will get your finger tips stuck so be careful.

p4 (not a good shot) but shows again the difficulty of getting a perfect fit. Look at the black line about a third way down. I suspect I'll work on this with tiny dots of super glue.

p5 gives an idea of the card stock. You'll note that there are a number of bends. Interestingly I have found these to be easier than right angles. In p2 you can see the escalators that run up the side of the building. This is one piece with lots of curves and bends and yet turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

In practical terms it has been difficult to apply pressure to both parts of the join because, given the nature of the building, you have to apply pressure from the inside as well as the outside. Not easy. Again the length of the building makes its build a bit tricky.I've found the best way to deal with this is to glue small length first, set it aside then go back to another small length.

In retrospect it's the sort of build that will probably be a lot easier were I to try it again. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Glossy Cardstock-p7.jpg   Glossy Cardstock-p3.jpg   Glossy Cardstock-p4.jpg   Glossy Cardstock-p5.jpg   Glossy Cardstock-p2.jpg  

Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Have any of you tried HP Brochure and Flyer paper? It does a good job for me. Here's a pic:

You can get it at Office Depot in the US, not sure overseas.
Lep
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Have any of you trie HP Brochure and Flyer paper? Works well for me. Here's a pic:

You can get it at Office Depot in the US, not sure overeas.
Lep
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Did you pre score the parts in the 90 degree bends? If you did, then that is some strong cardstock.

Can you get any photos of the shine of the printed model of the plane? I only ask because there is a Kinkos a block from my work and I'd like to see what it looks like before going to pick some up.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Sorry for the hiccup. How the heck do you delete a post, now, anyway?
Lep