PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Exclamation Printers - Opinions please

My well-used HP-7960 died this afternoon - the print carriage is broken. Not surprising - it has been through a 55,000 pages in the last three years. So it's time for a new 'un. In addition to enjoying paper models - I'm also a writer and consultant, and so I need a decent office grade printer and I don't have space for two. I've been well satisfied with the HP's for many years, but I'd like to hear what everyone's experience has been with respect to their printers.

Remember - we are all adults here. This could get nasty if someone forgets that fact. I'd like to hear what you've found that works for you in terms of an office capable printer - and one that is suitable for Paper Models!

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I am an HP fan, have been for years.

My recommendation would lean towards the Photosmart series of printers.
and I know they have printers in various budget levels.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I very recently bought an HP C4680 all-in-one and I'm very happy with it. It handles 110# cardstock with no problems,the printing is extremely sharp,and there's an XL cartridge available so I can get a decent number of prints.
The reason I had to buy a new printer is I've had bad experiences with two different Lexmark printers in the last 2 1/2 years-'nuff said.
Wayne

Last edited by wag; 12-13-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I used to be able to spell
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I would stay away from lexmarks, they are not good at all. HP or good If you were in Ireland you could go to the Lidl they have a great offer on a HP all in one for 79 euro right now. but I am happy with my old epsom cx3650 and it still works no troubles, I know old model got it over three years ago and it as printed thousands of CV's and my essays for my course work and short stories photos and everything including card models.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I must say, the HP gets my vote. After a long trouble free run with a Lexmark, I switched to the HP Photosmart 8250. Still going strong, and one of the best things, to me, is there are 5 color cartridges, plus the black cartridge, negating the need to replace all colors if only one color has run out. Prints sharp, prints fast.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I hate the prices of HP cartridges...and when you want 'em, they can't be found! lol

I bought an HP deskjet years back and was blown away by the photo quality printing! and other print features.
When it died, I went on eBay and bought another, the same printer, from adiscount house for about $30...excellent!
I broke that one, being rough with it...so I bought another cheapo online!
and that one is still going...although it clicks and whirs and jams the paper once in a while.

I still can' get ink when i really need it...and its still too expensive when i find it...but you just can't beat this little printer!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I used to have wide format HP and was very happy with it until it developed problems with grabbing paper from the tray....
Switched to Epson Stylus Photo R300 whit straight paper feed and added Continous Ink System.
In use for over two years now without any issues - the only important thing to remember is to keep it on at all times, this takes care of clogged print heads
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
IMO the best for print quality, colour and paper handling are Epsons. They do have print head problems and the cartridges are too expensive. So, I now have a HP all-in-one. Other than its mediocre paper handling I am happy with it. The specs on Canon Pixma all-in-ones are good and they have the lowest priced cartridges.

If money was not an obstacle, I would be using a large format Epson photo all-in-one, replacing it when the heads clogged.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Printer

Dear List folks:
I have to vote for the HP 3930 3 years old got it for $30.00 and print cartrages are $15.00 for B&W $24.00 for color runs 110# and lesser paper with few jams.
Miles Linnabery, Youngstown, NY
Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Personally I've had a lot of trouble with HPs. Right now I have an Epson Stylus CX8400. I'm a student and it works fine for papers and papercraft. It has a scanner which may not interest you. Also, the separate cartridges for each color make it possible to refill one color instead of all three. Hope this helps!
Google Adsense