PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Tips on closing wingtips

Does anyone recall an article (maybe in tips & tricks or tutorials) on methods for closing up rounded wingtips to achieve the best possible profile without warping the wing?

I'm sure I've read posts on this, but don't recall anything specific - like a thread dedicated to the best approach. Unfortunately, the forum search isn't helping much, though I did try first.

I suppose there are many dependencies based on the designer's approach to this problem, but thinking in terms of the common top-surface single-cut perpendicular-to-chord relief such as what we find on Fiddlers', Stahlhart's Gladiator (my current WIP), and so many other designs.

In addition to closing the tip and getting the best profile, how do folks deal with the transition from nicely rounded leading edge to that point at which the arc starts?

Adam
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM

I just did a quick search through my threads, and i thought I had done something on this once, but I guess not.

You'll need a soft surface to work on-a firm mouse pad will work, and a tool with a rounded end. Either a ready-made burnishing tool, or the blunt end of a paintbrush.

Working on the back side of the wingtip, run the round tool over the surface just in from the edge, following the curve. Work slowly and gently until the edge starts to curl up. A little bit of practice will show you how hard you need to press. Do both tips, even if the bottom of the wing is flat. Obviously you'll need to do more on the top side.
The transition is made by working the curled wingtip edge not to the centerline, but working it the same distance from the CL as from the tip. 'Fade' out pressure as you work to the leading edge transition.

Hope this is helpful. i'll see if I can find or take some pictures to better illustrat the technique
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

At first I thought this was a political thread, figuring the advice would be universal.:D
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
I just did a quick search through my threads, and i thought I had done something on this once, but I guess not.

You'll need a soft surface to work on-a firm mouse pad will work, and a tool with a rounded end. Either a ready-made burnishing tool, or the blunt end of a paintbrush.

Working on the back side of the wingtip, run the round tool over the surface just in from the edge, following the curve. Work slowly and gently until the edge starts to curl up. A little bit of practice will show you how hard you need to press. Do both tips, even if the bottom of the wing is flat. Obviously you'll need to do more on the top side.
The transition is made by working the curled wingtip edge not to the centerline, but working it the same distance from the CL as from the tip. 'Fade' out pressure as you work to the leading edge transition.

Hope this is helpful. i'll see if I can find or take some pictures to better illustrat the technique
Thanks Shrike, I understand where you're going with this - I've read the threads on the method you describe to ease-in curvature. This might call for a reprint to try the method out on a fresh set of wings.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
At first I thought this was a political thread, figuring the advice would be universal.:D
LOL - liberal amounts of CA should do the trick.
Google Adsense