PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
That is an awesome compliment mate, thank you!

I've finished the full assembly (of the modeled components), and aside from some minor tweaks, I think it works quite well. I've included some pictures with a 35mm Reaper miniature for scaling. As 35mm is very close to 1:50, I'm certain you'll get the idea. The entire model is about 5cm long, or 2.5 m (8 ft, 2 inches (or so)) to scale. I've built it with freely rotating wheels and a loose wedge (although the little blighter does keep falling out when shifted). Easy enough to tack them in place if you prefer. I hope to finish the modifications (and blocks/tools) and instructions within a few weeks, so easily before Christmas.

Little bits

Components

Another shot

Top View

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 11-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.95 MB
hello Tirick,

Your cannon are okay. For a dio, you can use them for the defence of a fort.
Maybe a fight between french and english armies in Canada.
Or for a dio with Henry Morgan.
With the size 1/50, it will be more easier than a dio on a boat.
Faithfully
Valmy
Old 11-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmy33 View Post
hello Tirick,

Your cannon are okay. For a dio, you can use them for the defence of a fort.
Maybe a fight between french and english armies in Canada.
Or for a dio with Henry Morgan.
With the size 1/50, it will be more easier than a dio on a boat.
Faithfully
Valmy
I found that on the web
Patrimoine Militaire Canadien
Old 11-25-2010, 02:11 PM

I was thinking a section of the boat, actually. A frigate (the smallest ship likely to hold 32 pounders) is around 120-130 ft in length (or larger), or nearly 70-80 cm to scale. I'm ambitious, but not that ambitious.

I like how you mention fighting between the British and the French in what is now Canada, rather than anywhere else, given that I'm a Canuck.

When I think of Britain waging war in the 18th Century, I usually think of the Revolution (American/French) and later, forgetting that North America was a major battleground between France and Britain in the few decades leading up to the American Revolution.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirick View Post
I was thinking a section of the boat, actually. A frigate (the smallest ship likely to hold 32 pounders) is around 120-130 ft in length (or larger), or nearly 70-80 cm to scale. I'm ambitious, but not that ambitious.

I like how you mention fighting between the British and the French in what is now Canada, rather than anywhere else, given that I'm a Canuck.

When I think of Britain waging war in the 18th Century, I usually think of the Revolution (American/French) and later, forgetting that North America was a major battleground between France and Britain in the few decades leading up to the American Revolution.

Bonsoir mon cousin
Google Adsense
Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 AM

I've been playing around a little this morning, and I have a rough mock-up now for the cannon emplacement. It's not textured, but will serve as a good tool to showcase the gun and the blocks/tools that will be included (not yet modeled). I'll eventually clean it up and texture it, perhaps detailing better the upper deck. I know that the deck is probably a little tall (I've use a touch more than 6 ft from the deck to the beams), but it will show a little better this way I suspect.

I also did some closer examinations of my measurements. This bore is closer to an 18 lb shot, rather that the 32 I'd assumed. As such it is more suited to an upper deck, or 'castle, although some frigates still carried 18-24 pounders on their main gun deck.

Off to model the bits...

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM

I have some texture tweaking to do (I'm not happy with the carriage), but all of the modeling is now complete. I've attached some pictures so that you can see what to expect with regards to the parts that will be included.

While I will not be texturing it anytime soon, I will make available the 'set' parts for posing and display purposes. I imagine I will just bundle it in with the cannon itself.

Note that the third image shows the blocks that open the gunport. There are also little ring-bolts that will be included to attach to the gunport door.

I have the 'set' parts printed and I hope to have (assuming I can find thread/twine in the right sizes) a display put together within a week or so.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Tirck:
How about mounting one in the bow of a large ships Boat firing forward,
Not as big as a brig ect
MILES
Some place I have some old blueprints of ships boats if you are interested
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Wow, I was just about to ask if anybody has good information on cannon rigging and accessories to detail my model, and here you are with all the information I needed. How did you anticipate my request? My cannons will not be as fancy as yours, since they are for a 1845 era ironclad. I hope I can get somewhere near your finish, yours are easily some of the best looking I have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
17th Century Naval Cannon-100_6939.jpg   17th Century Naval Cannon-100_6940.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 AM

That is a sweet collection of carriages you have there, mate! I'm not certain I have the rigging exactly 'right', as I've used host of images/manuals to put them together. I honestly think nearly every ship was different with regards to how they rigged their guns, with generally the same principles involved.

Miles,
I appreciate the offer of blueprints (you never know when they will come in handy), although it was not my intent to release the cannon with an emplacement at all... I'll include the white one as an extra for those who would want it, but a real textured/modeled emplacement will have to sit down in the queue a bit. The cannon might be a little large to mount on a small boat, but remove the wheels and it could look great.

Thank you!
Tirick