PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
17th Century Naval Cannon

I've aluded to this project in other threads, but as it is very close to completion I think it a great time to show some teaser build shots. This (like most of my models) will be available in 1:50 and 1:35 scale, and will eventually be accompanied by an appropriate British Naval crew.

The title says it all, but the cannon will be made of detailed components and will feature a pivoting (elevation) assembly, potentially moving wheels and chock-block wedges for elevation support. I've not decided yet (although if I do it will extend release probably until Christmas) but I may include a second bore size with a shorter barrel. (I'd estimate this at the standard 32 lb shot, although at this scale it is really impossible to notice minor variations).

This is the first of my builds that was fully textured before I printed any part of it, with only minor component details (rivets, etc) missing from the final wood carriage textures. It might be hard to tell from the pictures, but the detail on the cannon is laminate build-up, a feature which worked better than I hoped. Note that the second shot is showing the barrel assembly, which fits into the cannon exterior tube.

I intend to work on the carriage tomorrow, and will likely have it complete (sans wheels) for more shots then.

Enjoy!
Tirick

(yes, I'm building two; as two fit on a page currently)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Tirick,

These look great! I ought to know as I'm an artilleryman by trade and muzzle-loading artillery is something I do on the side. Your texture on the gun tubes is amazing. You truely have captured it well.

If I may...one item...the vent. The part that the fuze or primer goes into at the breech end of the tube. I didn't see one represented.

Other than that I think this will be quite the gem. This will make a fine addition to a collection.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Looking good so far. Waiting to see more on it. This is one in my back burner which I plan to build later in the future, you just beat me to it. I probably will not get around to mine until next year so I will be watching yours with interest.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwarrior View Post
...If I may...one item...the vent. The part that the fuze or primer goes into at the breech end of the tube. I didn't see one represented...
You are completely correct. I missed texturing the touch hole. I'll correct for certain on the final model.

I should have noted that I will be including a linstock and ramrod/swab tools with this set, as well as the block and tackle required to run out the gun (no ropes though).

Depending on how well this works out I may make a long fort gun. There is a fort near where my wife grew up that has a brilliant display of transverse rotating carriages (with cannons) that would look great.

Thank you,
Tirick
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks awesome! Will you be offering it for sale?

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Yes, it will certainly be for sale once ready. Not certain of the price point, but unlikely to be much more than a few dollars CDN. I might be convinced to ask Chris to host it as well, instead of only on my own store.

I've finished the carriage assembly, and all that awaits are the wheels and struts. Sadly the carriage alone puts the guns to high to mount in the Maiden but they still look fantastic. This has been one of the easiest of my prototypes to assemble, and comes close to the top in my list of favorites thus far (of my own models).

Two component sets

Top View

Top and Side

Barrel view

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looking good thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
I'm glad to hear you'll be making the implements. Those are a nice touch.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looks great! would be happy to offer it up for ya
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM

18th Century Naval Cannon

I can't count, clearly. This is actually modeled on a late 1700's cannon, which of course, is the 18th Century (I hate that). A 17th century cannon would be a lot bulkier...

The implements are a bit of a nice touch I think (especially once I have crew to hold them). I plan (if I can rig up something to mount it 'to') to use braided thread for the ropes, which is why I won't include them (too fiddly anyway). Given the way this is going I might eventually make a 1:50 diorama set for the cannons. I think a 1:50 scale whole frigate would be a little too big...

Chris,
I'd be happy to have this hosted on ecardmodels as well as my own site once done. If it works out I might add my other 'pay' models too.

Thank you,
Tirick
Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well done - this is looking really good - I have been a wooden ship modeller for many years and have built tons of ships guns, and this compares really well to the metal and wood items!
Google Adsense