PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
but Tirick, I thought you had a clone trooper on your website
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
I do, but it is using an older figure design; it works, but I don't like it. I intend to release most of the major 'trooper' designs using bodyglove base of the Paper Protagonist Stormtrooper, with laminated armour, although I will likely update the hip to match the one designed here.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Irvine Jacket. Hard to see in the model but it is designed to be fully opening (the combat jacket shown above does as well). There is a fully textured interior to the Irvine 'body' so leaving it open is an option. From what I can find, the Irvine was worn over the combat jacket, but there is just not enough room in the lamination planning to model that correctly, so if you are planning on leaving the Irvine jacket mostly closed, I would recommend omitting the combat jacket.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Flying helmet, face mask and communication gear. There are so many variants, some with straps surrounding the helmet, some with straps attaching, that I have tried to accommodate all. They are laminate in any case, so judicious trimming should achieve whatever look you are going for. I've not modeled the hose, and may not. I find small bendable components rarely look good out of paper. I would advise thick thread or wire.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Brilliant design work! All the headgear looks fantastic on an already great figure design.

Can't wait to see more!
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Well, now that my PC is back from the shop, setup and most of my major-use programs reinstalled, I've finally taken some time to get this figure reworked to where I was when the computer crashed. Thankfully I had most of it backed up.

Not much to see extra; Boots and Gloves mostly. I have five major elements to complete and then it should be ready for testing: greatcoat, uniform jacket, uniform hats, floatation device, and a parachute. If I'm feeling ambitious I might make/release a fully opened parachute to go with it.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
glad the computer is back ... whew!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
This is a most valuable enterprise. I wish you luck, and a good final result! - L.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Alright, this part took a lot longer than I expected; mostly because of my unfamiliarity with the subject. So, here I present my interpretation of the Irvine seat-type parachute, as used by the RAF fighter pilots. I expect I've made some errors, and this is in some ways an amalgamation of the design. I honestly did not expect the sheer variety of different variations of this type of 'chute in use during that time. I feel that I have captured the essence of the design, although if any of you have any recommendations, please feel free to note them. I should note that the presented 3D model is not precisely as it is intended to be assembled. The lower straps should feed through the looped end (that is simulated as though fed through the seat). I've positioned it to approximate the positioning as I did not want to model it deformed.

I am mostly in the dark as to how the parachute itself extends out of the bag; I've modeled twin straps leading from the shoulders to underside of the bag (held in place with tearaway tabs) in what I think is the design, but I would appreciate any advice on this.

Onto (I hope) easier elements.

Tirick
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hello,

The harness would be, I believe:

Lower part:
1 strap around the waist, like an ordinary belt
A pair of straps just slightly lower, and slightly angled, 1 strap around each thigh

Upper part:
A pair of shoulder straps, much like you have them

At least that's how my glider-type parachute was harnessed.

Still very much rooting for this project.

Leif
Google Adsense

Tags
pilot, raf, wwii