PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
WWII Pilots - Posable, Multiscale

I'm breaking this design thread off of the main Paper Protagonist thread, as several members who may have not had an interest in prior projects in the Protagonist line of figures may in fact be interested in this new design. This also allows me to fork design comments and suggestions relative to this series.

I've been keenly following many of the build threads of WWII fighters since I have joined the site, and have finally worked up the courage to build one of my own. However, I hate to see an unoccupied cockpit. Fortunately, having a figure skeleton design already, I can readily adapt it to suit. As such, I present the first in this series: the RAF pilot.

As with my other figures, much of the detail will be laminate, rather that textures. The figures are fully posable, and the hips for this figure will incorporate a newer more realistic design. I intend to offer with this figure full flight gear (helmet, radio, mask, webbing, life jacket, parachute (pack only) as well as a number of uniform options, including the combat jacket shown, the uniform 'dress' jacket, the overcoat, cold weather jacket, gloves, airman and officer hats, and boots. I will also release all uniform elements in the tropical coloring. As with my other figures, this will be released in 1:50 and 1:35, both of which are easy enough to modify to obtain most common scales.

I am not, nor have I ever been in the RAF (although my grandfather served in the RCAF). While I attempt to be diligent in my research, I expect some things will be incorrect. I mean no disrespect if any of the design elements fall short in terms of accuracy. In fact, I would greatly appreciate constructive feedback while this design develops.

I expect this will take a few weeks to complete, then another week (or more) to lay out and make instructions.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Awesome! I'm working on a few WWII Aircraft and I've been looking for pilot figures. I think the only one available is Mr. Griffin's pilot, but it's static. Your work on these series of posed figures are really ground breaking. The design is simply innovative!

By the way, you mentioned you're building an aircraft. How about showing some pictures :D

Keep it up!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post

By the way, you mentioned you're building an aircraft. How about showing some pictures :D

Keep it up!
Not building yet (my workbench has been torn down for house renovations), but will post a build thread as soon as I start. I plan on starting with the Spitfire Va designed by Andrew Inwald, and available here. I do have my eye on the Bf-109E available at GreMir's site, or maybe the T-1 as it has a cockpit, although I'll wait until I have at least one complex build under my belt. I will likely move on to a Luftwaffe pilot once I'm done the RAF.

Thank you,
Tirick
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
can't wait to see the pilot progress... great design. -Loui-
Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
I'm watching this thread with great interest! Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I am also interested in a pilot figure, RAF or Luftwaffe or USAF.
Doubtless other Airforces' personnel will at some stage be suggested, which would seem to provide opportunity of add-on packs, perhaps.

It certainly looks to be a very neat design, admirably executed.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Very Awsome Tirick;
To have pilot figures of different times will be very nice! I love all of your work, I look forward to more. Any possibilities for Viet Nam era to present USAF Helio crew figs?? In OD Green and International orange?
Jeff
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
I am also interested in a pilot figure, RAF or Luftwaffe or USAF.
That is precisely the order I hope to design these in(GreMir has a P-38 I have my eye on as well). Most of that era's uniforms are fairly similar, and depending on time/modeling changes I may just release 'packs' instead of full releases.

Hawkman, I think I owe you a Clone Trooper first, but yes, 1960's-70's era USAF 'copter pilots are a possibility. Time constraints are all that really keeps any of these back. WWII figs will come first though, at the least RAF, Luftwaffe, USAF and SAF, although I'll entertain more if enough request it.

Thank you all for your interest. I'll keep you updated as I progress!

Tirick
Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
LOL, yes, yes you do when ever you can get to them.....
That would be great if and when you could do the USAF pilots, I am mainly wanting them to go with the 1/50th scale HH-3 repaints I am doing it would be sweet to have a crewman in the door guiding the winch cable, and pilots up front. But am really looking forward to the WW2 pilots. They will make a big difference in displays..
Jeff
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Now look at that, I have my eye on the P-38 from Gremir too It really looks like a beauty, especially from Michael's build up of it.

Since it comes with a cockpit and you're a master of designing figures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirick View Post
That is precisely the order I hope to design these in(GreMir has a P-38 I have my eye on as well). Most of that era's uniforms are fairly similar, and depending on time/modeling changes I may just release 'packs' instead of full releases.

Hawkman, I think I owe you a Clone Trooper first, but yes, 1960's-70's era USAF 'copter pilots are a possibility. Time constraints are all that really keeps any of these back. WWII figs will come first though, at the least RAF, Luftwaffe, USAF and SAF, although I'll entertain more if enough request it.

Thank you all for your interest. I'll keep you updated as I progress!

Tirick
Google Adsense

Tags
pilot, raf, wwii