PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Designs on Hold - Indefinately

Just before I went on vacation to Munich in mid-June, my computer (a aging franken-puter) took a final dive. It was old, but it was mine. When we got back, we splurged (for us) and got a moderately priced HP brand new (I've not had a 'new' computer since 2001). The joy of that lasted for about two weeks, and after about two dozen BSOD's over the last week it finally hard-crashed, destroying not only the newly reinstalled OS partition but also the HP backup partition.

Thankfully, I've lost very little actual data. Some save games, and a score of logins to remember, but I've lucky in that I have backups of all my projects before the first computer crashed, and the only project I've worked since has a recent backup on my work laptop.

That said, it will be a few weeks to a month before I finish going through the return/repair recycler. My work PC is an inefficient replacement for the design/development, so I imagine I will make little to no progress on any projects until this is resolved.

My greatest fear is that the techs at HP will just reinstall a new OS and call it 'good' when it is clear to me that the hardware is at fault (a BSOD 5 minutes after a factory-reset operating system is not an OS failure). If that is the case, I'm in for a few rounds of this.

I hate computers sometimes.
Tirick

(apparently I also can't spell Indefinitely)
Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Tirick, don't hate computers. hate HP for making them so badly. You can be off cheaper with them, but if you just buy the loose parts (HDD, case, powersupply and optionally a videocard), you can get more trustworthy parts. A good computer store that isn't licenced to sell only A-brands can also help you select and advice you on what you need, and you can get a smooth running PC for the same money as the HP one, and even with better specs.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You can buy a backup hard drive, and install it without voiding your warranty. It will (usually) come with hardware to clone your existing drive. This way, you can get a high quality drive and go from their. Do a good Google search on the model, there may be recalls on it that you can push them on. H.P. just settled a large suit about shipping out "not ready for prime time" computers. If you need some specifics, please feel free to contact me.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Dude! HP sux egg! Get a Dell. Or, a Alienware M18x. I'm eyeballing one, in red this time.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I never have trouble with computers...
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I never have trouble with computers...
Actually from what I've seen in the last week, your right. It's not the computer that you have problems with.....now the operator?.....That's a whole different story;-)

SFX
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM

True true true
Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
The irony is that I really just wanted a computer that would work out of the box. I've spent the last 5 years cobbling together bits to try and stay 3-4 years behind 'current', using OS bits and pieces. I have more than enough skill to throw a system together, but the parts+OS cost would have been greater than what I paid, and I gambled. I sort of regret the choice, but hey, they are taking it on warranty, so I'll give them the benefit for now.

Thanks all,
Tirick
Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Disconnect the factory drive (Data/Power connections). Insert a blank $50 drive. Install OS. You are now off and running clear of any factory crap installed.

My system was an HP system and I have upgraded it to the fullest and it still runs whatever I can throw at it. Not bad for a $100 computer plus parts and it was several years old when I bought it in 2008.

I suspect you need a new power supply. A bad one can quietly damage your system over time like brown power can.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Tirick...I have a few parts and some software.
If you want some help, you are welcome to contact me.
I'm in Cambridge.

Not sure of what exactly I can do for you, but you never know.
Google Adsense