PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)

I honestly cannot say how/why the pique to design strikes me, although this one was clearly influenced by my discovery of the rerelease of the FASA Battletech rules, and the pending Mechwarrior MMO.

As the title states: Modular Hexagonal 3D hills. Obviously this is designed with Mechwarrior in mind, although anything using hexes could benefit. Each terrain elevation is designed to match the horizontal scale (1:1000), so each level is about 10 meters high to scale (1 cm). I designed ramps to ease transitions and more clearly define 'cliffs' vs graduating hills. As of yet they are untextured; they are hot off the press, I literally finished design about 3 hours ago and build in the last 1/2 hour.

Please ignore the badly painted Heavy Gear mech...

Not certain how far I might go with this. I have some ideas in my head for modular Hex boards which will allow for reduction terrain, but I am fickle... at best.

I don't intend to 'market' these. Once I'm satisfied with a set, they will be released free (here or on my site).

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Not only a clever idea, but an extremely useful addition to a gaming set, Tirick.
It also doubles as useful display settings when not in use as gaming terrain.
One could display a Lance of Mechs very effectively.

Thank you for this new addition, it is greatly appreciated.

Kind and Respectful Regards Tirick my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice one Tirick! I'd love to see more! I've been wanting something like this for awhile to use with Btech as I am not only a fan, but have some of the minis as well. And as for the "badly painted" HG mech, not a bad job there either, if I do say so. Although, I'd still like to find a copy of that puter game, since my other one has since gotten lost. I do have a small suggestion however, perhaps a hook-like tab on the bottom of each side to connect several together, to keep them from going astray when that one stray hand goes to move a mech and topples several hither and yon. LOL! Still a great idea and as I said, looking forward to more, perhaps also, some textures to represent grass, sand, asphalt, etc? Cheers!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:46 AM

At the onset I was not sure if I wanted modular elements that could be mixed and matched and made into permanent hills or joining modular elements that could be made into any hill. I prefer the latter, but a joining part would be required certainly. My initial design called for gluing the bits together, but that is not as useful.

I would absolutely like to put a texture set together for these. The base UV map is done at least, I just need to find a suitable 'grass' or dirt to sub, and sketch out some surface detail.

Thank you!
Tirick
Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those look like a useful way to make a 3D map of the Tank! game from SPI released back in 1974.
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM

It would work for any game needing/using hexes. Hexes are superior for many games, although grids dominate most games. Easier to make I suspect (or a predominance of square interior combats).

I am now out of coloured ink, so you'll have to live with 3d images for now. I still have to add the 'slot' to the faces, although I'm intending to go with a vertical slit in each of the faces with a detachable guide/joiner.

I've added some grass textures to the faces, and modeled the rest of the hill elements. Mixing and matching these should provide ample choices with regards to layout. I'd like some feedback on the texture. I wanted to have the levels clearly defined on the hex faces, so that a quick glance could count the layers. I'll release a texture map at any rate so you can modify if desired.

Road and Track elements are in the works, flat and 'raised' with their own risers/bridges. I might even make a train (to scale).

Tirick
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM

For my part, though I'm no expert I think the textures, both horizontal (green) and vertical (brown/earth) look fine, and very usable as your intent defines.

A variation might be a few "tiles" coloured in asphalt and concrete for urban settings, though such a set might easily be a second option by simply having concrete texture on the downside face of a hex-tile opposite (obverse to) the green of the grass. That way, the brown earth would do "double duty" as vertical texture in either rural or urban mode. {Turn this by 90 degrees >> concrete|brown earth|grass; because you already have >> uncoloured|brown earth|grass. I hope I have expressed the concept clearly!}

Just a very humbly offered suggestion Tirick my friend, in an attempt to avoid having to do several texture sets for a tileset where 3 textures might well be sufficient.

I very much like the look of the 3D hextile set you have shown here.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM

May I humbly offer up tracks/trains:

The train shape (and rough texture) is based on the ICE trains the Deutsche Bahn employs. They elements are modular, so you can have as long a train as you would like. They are also independent of the track, which is comprised of a lot of independent elements. This will allow for destroyed sections (and raised sections) without the need to redesign.

I will be creating a more permanent texture for the train, I've used a placeholder for demonstration.

Enjoy,
Tirick
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM

I made a few scale markers, to aid with building construction and general sense of world-scale.

I might unfold one and see if I can even build 'em this small.

Enjoy,
Tirick
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM

This is looking better and better!
The hextile set is very much shown to advantage by the train, tank, and Mech placemarkers. The rail's look convincing, even though you will probably replace them.

I really like the way this set is evolving, and believe it will be a fine enhancement to any tabletop terrain set.

Google Adsense