PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Hiya Tirick; I really like this design of yours so far.... Is nice to see someone making the B-wing in a decent scale. and I really like the chain of thought on how the canopy would/could work.... it got me to thinking, would opening from the side be possible?? kind of like a P-51B canopy?
Jeff
Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
I had considered that option, but I am under the impression that it is designed to land on either side of the 'blade', meaning a side-opening canopy could potentially get in the way of entry if the cockpit was rotated the wrong way. That said, All the bits will be there upon release, making a side-opening hinge should be easy enough.

I've not yet conceived the landing gear so I may change my mind on that impression, but I'm waiting until I've the most of it at least rough modeled before I try and sort out that part.

I do enjoy healthy design debates though!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
hi man
maybe this could help you (I think that it won't be new to you), from 0:30 on...
YouTube - Star Wars X-Wing collector's CD-Rom edition gameplay german
and that's even a good view about the "landing technique" used by this bomber, from 3:29 on.
as you could have thought, this ship is in my "ideas&futureprojects" closet too :D
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Tirick, I never thought of that point. Your idea seems way better and makes more sense really. the landing gear seem to be skids acording to my cut-aways book. But any thing that makes sense would work that is for sure. How are the troopers coming along?
Jeff
Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM

:D I loved X-Wing, bar none, my favorite 'simulator'. XWA is a very good inheritor of the title, but my bloody joystick won't work on my current PC (no XP64 drivers). Yeah, the B-Wing sequences are neat indeed, but I stick by my assessment; there is just not enough room at the top for a hinge, or for the opening swing of the canopy. They do appear to have the side fuel tanks (as that is what they were kit-bashed from) being used as extensible gear. That is a neat concept, and one I'd not thought about. Certainly my gear will likely come from around that area, although I am leaning toward the engine section.

hawkman: my pilots are going well, I have a test print of an untextured Rebel pilot to assemble tonight, and if Jules (paper-replika) finishes his LAAT I am likely (sooner rather than later) to make pilots and troopers to support that. Clone troopers v2 thus may well be first quarter 2010.

The B-Wing (and A-Wing) pilots will actually be far easier to make than I initially imagined. Close examination of a pile of photos and film seems to indicate the uniform is almost identical (except color, no neon orange for them), with only the box controls different. Of course I'm certain a regular x-wing style pilot would work fine in the B-Wing as well.

Sean
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Mucked about a bit with the mesh and started to model the main wing and S-Foils. Not really much of an update, but she's really starting to take the shape of the B-wing nicely.

Again, most of these wings will be covered in greeble and laminate panels, which I have yet to model.

Enjoy!
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 B-Wing Fighter-s-foil-001.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-s-foil-002.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-s-foil-003.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Slowly but surely, it's shaping up.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 AM

Slow indeed; I've been focusing on my Rebel Pilot design.

There's not been a lot of time, between work and holiday business, to work on this, but I've finished rough modeling the turbolaser on the end of the main blade and I've completed the main attachment points and hinges for the structure.

This means the next phase is setting the cutaway sections and adjusting all of the main parts for fit-up. I'll hope to be ready with a prototype print by the end of the year, which will include all of the main parts of the assembly, including the base cockpit sections and canopy (still have to refine the actual hinge for that).

Enjoy!
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 B-Wing Fighter-attach-001.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-hinge-001.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-turbolaser-001.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-turbolaser-002.jpg   1:50 B-Wing Fighter-fullshot-001.jpg  

Old 12-24-2009, 10:31 AM

Wow, it has taken a while, but I'm about 60% done the model adjustments to allow for paper fit-up. Al that remains (of course) are the hard parts; the hinge for the wings (and the stop-block to allow posing), the tip gun attachment points, and the turbolaser attachment points. The good news of course is that once all of that is done, I'll be essentially well past the 1/2 marker for modeling (just detailing and greeble after that, and will have no worries about assembly).

I was tired of playing with the model, so I started the process of converting to .pdo. I finished the prototype cockpit, which has come out at 3 pages. Low on ink here, I'll likely wait until Tuesday (when I work again) to print the prototype pages on our laser printer at work.

I've never considered this before, but if anyone is interested in building a copy of the prototype, please drop me a PM. I think on something this big, extra eyes/hands could certainly be an asset.

Enjoy!
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 B-Wing Fighter-cockpitpdo.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

I've started the assembly at long last; it is a slow process as there are a lot of parts. I have the main cockpit body completed now though; just need to build the easy chair and the canopy. There were a few minor fit-up issues, but all in all it assembled like a dream.

Starting the assembly

Cockpit pt 1

Cockpit pt 2

Finished

To scale...

I plan to get the sleeve/guide finished this weekend, but even the best laid plans can fall apart.

Enjoy!
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 B-Wing Fighter-cockpit-assy-005.jpg  
Google Adsense