PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Modular Terrain

I just finished the prototypes for a design I've struggled with for the few years or so.

The original concept was a set of fully modular boards for use with wargaming, but there is opportunity to use it for roleplaying scenarios as well as diorama layout (or just shelf displays of models not in use). Each board will be textured, and the entire set is designed to interlock into whatever layout you would like. I will be releasing various 'terrain' sets as each terrain type will demand different texturing methods and detail. Note that as this is a prototype, I've not touched up the seams as of yet.

The design is such that it will support fairly deep depressions as well as heights, and will have larger modular-hill and valley sections, all made from cardstock. I've shown this here with some 40K models for scale. Each board is 30cm x 30cm.

Enjoy!
Sean
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
interesting concept! have you considered papier mache over the top, that could yield some interesting results possibly
Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM

I certainly toyed with the idea that builders might want to glue/flock the panels once built. I may actually sell this as .pdo files rather than .pdf, both for the complexity of the assembly and for the options of printing 'white' and painting directly. Inspired builders could paper-mâché the surface for a more rough texture and then paint/flock as well.

I've gone with a 'sand' texture for the prototype (as I actually intend to use these for a desert Pathfinder game), although I'm eager to try my hand at streams and ponds and grassy knolls.

Sean
Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great idea! A lot less mess than using acrylics. I've thought about designing a moonscape years ago using paper but never got around to it.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:06 PM

The first release in this set, a sampler containing instructions, the flat panel section, and the texture pack is now available. See my sig for the link.

Enjoy!
Sean
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Hmmm.....I can see application of this concept for model railroad layouts. Sean, I think you have a much larger potential market than wargaming.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM

yeah, I was thinking that myself, although not having track makes it hard to test. Once I've a whole table's worth we'll truly see the applicability, especially once I start in on water elements.

Thank you!
Sean
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Hi Sean;
I D/L'd the set last night, I must say very interesting and neat idea, it will be a very nice system once you have it all worked out. I can use it in many different dios for many subjects. Very Cool, And love the Astromech droids!! Now hurry up on the rest of the clones!! LOL. Just kidding of course.
Jeff
Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I would personally not sell just pdo files - kills a large part of your marketing segment... pep doesnt work on my linux box so I would be out as a potential customer etc etc. Everyone can print pdf's - if you want to make white available just make it pages in the same kit
Chris
Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman67 View Post
Hi Sean;
I D/L'd the set last night, I must say very interesting and neat idea, it will be a very nice system once you have it all worked out. I can use it in many different dios for many subjects. Very Cool, And love the Astromech droids!! Now hurry up on the rest of the clones!! LOL. Just kidding of course.
Jeff
'troopers are coming!

I hope to have a lot of options in the long run, tis all just time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I would personally not sell just pdo files - kills a large part of your marketing segment... pep doesnt work on my linux box so I would be out as a potential customer etc etc. Everyone can print pdf's - if you want to make white available just make it pages in the same kit
Chris
That is a very good comment Chris. I think I'll add both as options for people like you who just want to print the results rather than edit. Just'll have to make a few changes to the download setup.

Thank you!
Sean