PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Paper Protagonist - Female - WIP

(I apologize in advance to anyone who is on the same various forums I am one, as this is a copy posting on all)

I've had this figurine in the works for as long as the male protagonist; I in fact had a prior prototype (I won't show it here), designed and tested at the same time as PPM 1.0 (the current male version). The female figure is a bit tricky, more complex and smaller than the male, with odd curves and generally a rounder shape. I did not want to do injustice to the female form in general, and yet wanted to somewhat convey in 3d the key shape, rather than relying on texturing and blocky modeling.

There is a fundamental alteration to the hip, which will likely appear in PPM 2.0 (not even in the works), which allows for better radial posing of the legs. The torso on the female is also separated into two pieces (it is one piece on the male), firstly to provide positioning for the breasts, as well as generally more of a fluid shape when posing. it also allows a small bit of lamination for the shoulder blades, which will likely be more often exposed.

The design fundamentals of the male figure also provided a much simpler format; torsos are 'shirts' and textured to match. The female figurine I intend to allow much more flexibility at the price of complexity, where the clothing is most likely to be laminated rather than textured. This allows for more realistic portrayal of things like décolleté, and gives more justice to the figurine. The prototype is shown with a prototype bikini style-set, with the panty and the bra both laminated.

Enjoy the pictures; I've set up the build diary as links, and chosen a few for display here. The metal figurine (not yet fully painted) is shown for scale and detail comparison. It is a 35mm figure from one of the Reaper lines. The penny is a Canadian $0.01 coin, and is 2 cm (about 4/5th of an inch) in diameter.

Part 1

Part 2

Assembly Started

Lady bumps

Adding to the legs

Standee

Assembled A

Assembled B

Assembled C

Comparison Reaper A

Comparison Reaper B

Comparison Reaper C

Comparison Reaper D

Comparison PPM 1.0 Prototype A

Comparison PPM 1.0 Prototype B

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 224.02 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to marksolo
these pics were quite entertaining indeed.
the figure's pose is so lifelike
truly a fine work of art and better than many stuff being displayed in expensive art galleries around the world
nice job!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM

*bows*

Many thanks for the comments!

I've a minor update, although I may post later if I get the time to build the Courser's rider (which will be a second female prototype - I printed two and don't see why she should go to waste...) I've made an attempt a hair, and while it looks ok, I'm not entirely settled with it. I'll see what my second try looks like on the other prototype.

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 PM

So.... Wow. I really let too much time slip between projects. Maybe I just have too many projects.

Nah, that can't be it...

Anyway. Minor (minor) update. Got started finally on texturing this lady. I have the hip and torso mostly finished and hope to have the whole of the body done in the next few weeks. This design differs significantly from the Male Protagonist and as a lot of the outfit will likely accentuate the female form expect that most releases will contain nudity ('Barbie level' at any rate). I considered putting a textured modesty (underwear) coverage on the base figure, but I'd honestly rather not. Clothes will account for that through final assembly.

I am very happy with the textures; I hate starting texturing, but one I get into a design I usually enjoy the work and the result. Nowhere close to photorealistic, but at 1:50 I doubt the blemishes will be apparent.

Pictures in the links. While these are not 'real' (and covered with modesty bars) they are not really safe for work.

Front

Front canted (shape review)

Enjoy!
Tirick

I am curious, if any of you are interested in this figure, what kind of outfits would you like to see first? I have three in mind, a fantasy warrior type, a medieval princess and a sci-fi character of my own design, but I will entertain requests.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Goth, a Goth figurine. Nice work. I think people are very hard to model because most people know how people look.
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Hmm, Goth. I had not considered that initially, but I will add it to the list Zathros.

I have however, made progress on the first release! Now that the main body is textured, I suspect the rest of the figure will go a little smoother. Clothing usually has clearer lines and shadow/highlights than the human body. I am very happy with the face. While the hair is not complete yet, I have a clear plan which aught to work.

On that note, did you know that the Romans had bikini's?

Links are included as again, depending on where you work these may not be considered appropriate.

Front view

Canted view

Back view

This figure will have a few more clothing options than the Male protagonist releases to date. This is of course but one of them. I've elected to have the first release be a fantasy warrior-maiden. Obviously, for those of you interested in historical accuracy, you should just scale down the Man-at-Arms and swap heads. This will be a little more of a creative interpretation of protective battle-wear. Weapons and likely a shield will be included with the armour segments.

Enjoy,
Tirick
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Well the female protagonist (I think I might call the first release 'Warrior Maiden') is complete, save for final printing and fit-testing. I may yet add a helmet, but I don't feel strongly about it. I've added an interesting assortment of weaponry, and the laminar nature of the design should give a builder a lot to work with.

I still hope for an April release, although it will largely depend on free time over Easter.

The array of pictures below demonstrates the various components (and potential layers). Be warned, the first link is arguably NSFW, (although I've place modesty bars).

Base Figure

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 224.02 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to marksolo
Nicely done!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Well for the first time I've build a 1:35 prototype, and I must say, I have a new favorite scale!

The female build process went very smoothly. While there are way more parts than previous releases, and the build time is increased slightly for it, the difficulty of the build is diminished, which is a fair trade in my books. The textures need some tweaking, instructions need to be written, but otherwise she's ready for release.

I have some pics of the build process in links. They contain some texture details that will not be in the official release, and by their nature, Not Safe for Work.

I've included some pictures with a Canada penny for scale (2 cm) as well as the original prototype which was build at 1:50.

Basic Parts (NSFW)

Slightly different angle (NSFW)

Assembled Sandals (NSFW)

View A

View B

View C

Enjoy!
Tirick
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
very cool!

Wyvern