PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Vorcha, that's a terrific idea! Sadly, because I'm living in China I can't see your video or any of the images (), but it sounds ingenious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
Now, if you could just get started on creating a functional paper spring... : )
Heavy card (~200gsm) is pretty stiff and to some degree resists folding. You can fold up a strip "accordian style" to multiply this force, it will push back after being compressed. You can control it by placing it inside a "square tube" housing. Functionally it will act like a jack-in-the-box or a shock absorber.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
I'm impressed.
Now, if you could just get started on creating a functional paper spring... : )
sorry to interrupt on this thread ..

i built a working paper spring for a project a started but failed to finish last year ...
thread here Liebherr LTM 11200-9.1 Build - Zealot Hobby Forum

in the pic below is the second design at the spring/damper ,changing it from square to round.. the project got shelved due to other commitments..

ok lets explain the pic ...

Grey=internal paper tube
Yellow=external tube
Green=end plates
Red=end stops
zig-zag line=spring

so we start buy rolling the internal tube(grey),in my example the internal diameter was 6mm,then we rolled an end stop(red) around one end of this,glueing in place,then we rolled another end stop(red) around the internal tube but without glueing it,then we rolled the external tube(yellow) around the outside of the end stops(red),glueing the external tube to the previously rolled,but not glued end stop.this should create two tubes that slide on inside the other ,but will not fall apart because of the end stops..

next to the spring itself,thats simple,a strip of 5mm card/paper(depending how springy you want it) folded in a accordian shape,this should be about twice as long as the overall length of the two tubes when extended.

to assemble the working spring/damper you start buy sliding the two halves together so the the end stops touch.DO NOT GLUE!.then glue an end plate(green) onto the external tube,slide in the accordian spring,compress the assembly an finaly glue the other end plate in place .. hold until dry,then release..if you made it right you should have a working spring/damper....

hope i explained all that ok ...???
Attached Thumbnails
build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-sus.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imavingalaughaswell View Post
sorry to interrupt on this thread ..

i built a working paper spring for a project a started but failed to finish last year ...
thread here Liebherr LTM 11200-9.1 Build - Zealot Hobby Forum
Thatīs a great Idea! - I saw that you even had steering on your axels!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 AM

................................................ .......
Attached Thumbnails
build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-anleitung.png   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1193.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1195.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1196.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1197.jpg  

build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1198.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1199.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1201.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1202.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1203.jpg  

build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1247.jpg   build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction-dsci1248.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Hmmmm.

Regarding prior posts about springs. I am probably going against the spirit of paper modeling philosophy, since I am seeking permanence in models built with impermanent medium. I look upon paper modeling as using paper and raw materials scrounged from around the house or cheap items that are easily obtainable and have been re-purposed (tooth pics, straight pins, paper clips, chopstix and bamboo skewers, ect.) Using cannibalized dried up ball point pens as scribers seems to be a universally accepted usage in paper modeling.
These pens also have another valuable internal component, the SPRING.
If the spring from clic type ball pen was used instead of accordian fold paper in posting above, would be perfect simulation of a car's shocks.
I would make one addition, run drill small holes in each end of the shock. put a big stopper knot on one end of thread, run it through the center of the tube/spring assembly, and pull tight until desired amount of pre-tension was present and tie off.

The next challenge beyond working tracks and suspension using home made and scrounged components, would be a power source. Two possible ways to do it, a pull back an release where a stretched rubber band or compressed spring gives the vehicle an initial kick, or a real rubber band motor, where twisted or stretched rubber band drives the axle. Does this set up need a step down transmission, reinforcement so the tensioned rubber band does not tear the paper model apart, and a clutch so it can free wheel?

There once was a commercial paper model of a Mercedes that had a rubber band motor. It was rather pricey, so I did not buy one, and now they are OOP and unobtainable. Does any one have the plans that show how the model was powered, that they could share?

I remain impressed with the tread links, somewhere in there is the potential for an amazing office desk toy.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 09-24-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I have tried to make the links individually but your method is ingenious. The Warhammer Chimeras have a track similar to that and it would look great. Thanks, you got me over thinking again with the possibilities.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
The next challenge beyond working tracks and suspension using home made and scrounged components, would be a power source.
yeah, my most insane idea was about a paper-based burning-fuel-motor, using plain flour as fuel... ... the question would be how to isolate the burning chamber/ the cylinders from the rest of the model...

but as a fuel for homemade jet-engines, built of metal and implemented in a papermodel plain flour would be great, the isolation would be much easier and in the end you could even use some kind of RC, for examle of an disassembled mini-monstertruck... and fly as long as the fuel is over or the model catches fire... or you just get gasoline...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.71 MB
Vorcha, that track is awesome. Now I am truly inspired to build a tank with real track treads. Thanks so much. I may even put these on a RC tank made out of paper.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Speaking of Springs...
Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Engineering genius!

Tags
friction, links, movable, tracks, tutorial