PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
actually any of the tutorials explaining the fundamentals of manipulating geometry in meta should be helpfull. it doesnt matter the subject being modeled the fundamentals are the same.if you understand the basics of what the buttons do it is then a matter of of playing with it to get the desired results. as a general rule of thumb break your subject down to its basic shapes to start. practice practice practice. sometimes it may help to get a model someone else has done and dissect it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.62 MB
Metasequoia Tutorial

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll just keep trying and practicing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.68 MB
Broken Link

I tried to open the link http://www.thedimensionofnothing.com/ebooks.htm and get an error message. That says "Opps the link appears to be broken" and suggests trying http://www.thedimensionofnothing.com which opens the home page of the Dimension of Nothing. Only a video worked so I registered for membership, signed in but still can't get anything but the video on Home page.
How can I see the tutorial?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
Are the tutorials you wrote still available? The links don't work at this time. If not, do you know of a great Meta tutorial for a beginner? I have read many but they are always on modeling airplanes for flight model simulators, swords, boxes, dogs, or ripping characters from games and using them as the base to make the model. Many are geared to one game such as Final Fantasy. I go through them and try to glean as much as I can from them. I want to design figure/model characters, unfold in Pepakura, and make them into paper models. I just need some basic instruction on how to start. If you start with a Primitive, I haven't seen any tuts that show you how to push, pull, extrude so it forms a person. Using dot-to-dot, my front view dots get all mixed up with my back side dots and so on. I know what most of the buttons do and can draw lines and points, make faces, extrude, invert, etc. but I don't know how to make a person. Not a sculptured person, but more of an anime-type person in clothes. I appreciate any help. I surely need it. I don't want to animate with rigging, bones and all and I have several good tuts on texturing and uv mapping.
I have never seen a metasequoia tutorial for character modeling, in fact the only one I have ever seen for character modeling from primitives was for 3dsmax, I think it was for the office girl (or bunny) by andyH, went from a box to figure. Sorry can't find the link for it.
I think the best method, and the one I use, is to take a ready made figure and adapt it, there is a metasequoia plugin to make characters just for this purpose. There are plenty of figures out there, you just need to find one that is closest to your requirements. You'll find that adapting a model is just as time consuming as modeling one from scratch.
I'll try looking again for that tutorial, tried it myself, result wasn't very good.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Here's a nice video: YouTube - Making of PIKACHU 3D pokemon metasequoia ????

The video shows (in fast forward) the author making a Pikachu model using Pepakura. Although it plays kinda fast, you will be able to get the idea.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
I think the best method, and the one I use, is to take a ready made figure and adapt it, there is a metasequoia plugin to make characters just for this purpose. There are plenty of figures out there, you just need to find one that is closest to your requirements. You'll find that adapting a model is just as time consuming as modeling one from scratch.
I'll try looking again for that tutorial, tried it myself, result wasn't very good.
When you refer to a "ready made figure" do you mean a mesh figure, a mqo figure, or just a photo of a model I could adapt? Do you mean a photo I would use as a background figure to reference from? Would I have to have front, back, and side view? Even though the plugin isn't great, if you find it, could you post it here? I get little bits of information from many Meta tuts and it helps me in my effort to sort it all out. Thank you so for your help.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

I mean a ready made 3D model - in whatever format, complete with textures if needed, that you adapt the mesh and re-texture.
Like taking a airbus 3d model and converting it to a 757.

The plugin m_BodyGen.lzh(52KB) is here :- ĦM'sAir PluginĦ
Found a nice tutorial for doing figures from pictures :- Antony Ward - Freelance Digital Artist, Animator and Writer.
It's the method that is important, not the software you use.
Haven't found the other tutorial yet, wish I could, it's the old fashioned way of doing it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks eric_son and codex34.The Pikachu clip was great, even though speedy! The Antony Ward tutorial was the best on modeling people I have seen. I am going to try following it today. Part of my problem is that I am new to 3d modeling and am trying to learn the mechanics of using Metasequoia at the same time I am learning modeling. Maybe that is how it is for everyone though.
Thanks again to both of you. I appreciate it tremendously. I can't remember ever being so motivated to learn to do something, as I am about being able to design and then make the model.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM

The old metadocs are at UppIT! Free File Hosting just in case you wondered how to get the sym button to work, some kid stole and uploaded them :P
Metasequoia isn't as powerful as 3dsmax, but then again you can't run 3dsmax from a memory stick.
Don't worry about learning metasequoia so much as learning the techniques on modeling, as these techniques will transfer to other software.
I think the techniques you were originally referring to are 'box modeling', 'polygonal modeling', 'primitives modeling' and sometimes called 'low poly modeling', the google image search brings up some interesting stuff.
Don't forget to look at ready made models to see how they do the awkward bits, armpits are a nightmare, to me anyway.
One last thing, metasequoia has an awful rendering system, my modeling is done in metasequoia, the renders are done in 3dsmax, don't loose sleep because your models don't look as good as the ones you see on the net, even a box looks good with ambient occlusion rendering.
Have fun.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks again, codex. Your comments and suggestions have been very helpful. I have found some already made models in .obj and .3ds and am practicing on them in a new (older) program I found named Silo. It seems more user oriented than Metasequoia. In the meantime, I am watching tutorials on different types of modeling in different software programs in order to learn the process and techniques. It is so true what you said about techniques transferring from one software program to another. Many thanks!
Google Adsense