PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great topic Lief. Don't know if it's been linked before, and while geared towards photography, I found this page to be helpful for general DIY monitor calibration:

Monitor calibration and gamma

Mike
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Back from the Abyss...,

Hi Leif,

Excellent work and narrative. Great way of getting to the heart of the problem and reaching a low cost, manageable solution. I like the grayscale solution idea. You might want to check out IT8.7 Color Targets now.

Bien Cordialement, +Gil
Old 09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

Wow, that was an excellent explanation. If I could offer a bit of advice for someone who wanted an incredibly diluted and simplified statement on where to start, start with a BLACK and WHITE Gray scale. The best way to adjust a color TV or Monitor is to start with Black and white, then move on the colors. If the shades are wrong in the gray scales, you will never get the color right. If you were so far off on your monitor, that you needed to get to a "starting point" before you started the serious calibration, the color Red is the best way, this goes for TV's too. Make sure the Red color never bleeds past the edge of the object that is colored red. By lowering the over all color settings like this, you will get close enough to start. If you don't start with Black and Gray scales, you will spend a lot of wasted time.

Ultimately, you have to print out something to check it. Someone told me once that color and your preference was subjective and that is why Monitors and TV's have these settings. They are not. each color has a frequency and you may have a preference, but that is all it is (which means much) but calibrating your monitor can "teach" you how to see colors. That's why this tutorial, the links that Gil gives, can be very important. Especially if you putting in the unmentionable amount of hours that some of thee models take to build.

Temperature controls on TV's were there to compensate on how the different Cable/Satellite companies were broadcasting, and to be honest, they have really made life difficult as it seems the printer manufacturers don't give a "Hoot" about matching what you see to what you get. There is a person on this forum who is probably the absolute authority on this kind of stuff, and if he rang it, a lot of information could be brought to light.

Thanks Leif, that took a lot of work. This should (with my posts excluded) be a "Sticky".
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Now for a silly question I hope you find slightly amusing
Calibrated under natural or artificial lighting conditions?

Seriously though, how do you manage different papers?
The settings the printer software give you don't always concur with what paper your using, as you've seen, the colour absorbtion rates for red, cyan and yellow are vary greatly depending on the density, finish and coatings of the paper.
Sounds a bit daft, but is it possible to make a colour chart so that you can print on any given paper and select a colour setting to use from the printed chart?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Leif,

Thank you for all the effort putting this into a manageable form. This is a subject that has plagued me for years. Perhaps now I'll be able to get reasonably consistent printouts.

Jim Nunn
Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Fondamuntal subject !!! I will read it conscientiously...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Well done, Leif! Synching the color calibration across a chain of hardware and software is a notoriously daunting task, congratulations on your success! And thank you for all the work involved in documenting the process, it's another valuable contribution to the forum's collective knowledge.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Having followed links supplied at least a bit on the way, I now realize how little I know about this field. Let's use this thread as a repository for similar tips in the future. And if anybody has experiences of calibrating their equipment which could be useful for others, it would of course be wonderful to read about them.

Leif
Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 469.82 MB
Just like to add my voice to everyone else, a great tutorial and one to keep coming back to. well done Leif.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Leif, as it is usual with your threads, this is a very interesting and educative one

It is good to read the whole process you followed to solve the problem. The way you make things, with such detail and trying to get the best possible result, with all the trials, errors, and corrections you make to refine the results is very inspiring.

And this is not the first time you do such things. The Mustang resize and its numerous canopies, and most of your previous threads are something really delightful to read. In the end, the results are something important; but it is also important the methodic way you use to confirm them.

And of course an added value is the amount of information that other people share and contribute to enrich the topic.

Thank you Leif, and thanks to all the others who have posted here. It is great to learn from you

Google Adsense