PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Wow, I'm going to have to go over this a few times before I understand. You can sand the paper tires to get them smooth? What grade sand paper do I need? I have the 65 lb paper and the glue. I was hoping for the large tundra tires. Is this last sheet of strips(tires) the same one you had in the engine download or is this a newer one? Sorry to be so dumb Jr. I'm trying, really I am. I'll get it. waddy/john
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
Sandpapering does help make it smooth. It is also because the last part kind of makes the outer part look strange I made a cross section picture to show what I mean.
65 lb. cardstock does work best for the landing gear and wheels.
the last picture is the tundra tires I designed I'll put pictures on soon of how they look on the cub.
It is alright it's taken me a long while to learn how to do these models fairly well. it just takes patience. "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
Attached Thumbnails
FG Piper Cub tutorial-untitled.png  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Sorry to be on the slow side of the uptake on this. Did you use card stock on the wheels and landing gear or standard paper? On the tires. Start with part 1 and roll tight. Where it ends glue part 2 and then all the way though part 5. Last part is 6 glues down the center pf tire.
.Allow to dry and sand, right? I have noticed the part 2 is wider. Does that matter?
It's not easy when I have been out of modeling for more then 20 yrs. Following detailed instructions and trying to see what you want me to see and hoping I do. Once I have this then other tires will become a lot easier.
My biggest problem I have is when I find a mistake and need to go back a few steps. Then I have to catch up. Thanks Tim, I really need your understanding on this. waddy

PS-would you be interested in a more real instrument panel? I don't know how to send it to you because it's larger then allows.
Did you use the "Fuselage Cross Section"? I thought because we are installing the cockpit and seats it wasn't necessary or is it?

Last edited by Wad Cutter; 05-12-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Left items out
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM

It is best to use 65lb. card stock for both landing gear and wheels. You got the instructions on the tires right.
Take your time. Its suppost to be a hobby not a project that has a dead line.
yes I would like to have the instrument panel.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Yorr right, it's a hobby. One that has come to really taken my life over and that's ok. Not a day goes by I don't get an idea or see a new exciting model or hear of a way to doing something. This is a never ending hobby that allows me to get closer to the aircraft I have come to know and fly with friends at night. It's a royal hoot. Back to printing out the wheels and doing some cutting and gluing. Thank Tim. No hurry, no rush just pure enjoyment. I think I have the bug. wc
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

What about the "Fuselage Cross Section"?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
What about the "Fuselage Cross Section"?
I tried using it before it works, but it doesn't really matter.
About the instrument panel you could ether make it smaller by using a program like windows paint. Or you create a .zip file (it is done by right clicking the file you want then go to "send to" [depending on the computer] then find the icon that say something like 'compressed (zipped) folder' click on that. Then you could add it to the downloads section of the forum.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Eternal Member

I tried wind zip and rar but still too big.
This is the only way I know other then e-mailing.
file:///J:/Fiddlersgreen/1A%20FiddlerGreen%20Storage/Piper%20Cub%20J-3UPDATED!%204-18-2012/Piper%20L4H/PhotoDetails.asp.htm
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Eternal Member

Were you able to see and use the panel I sent in last message? First tire complete. I have to wait for it to dry before I can sand it. Getting the first roll started was a bear due to my fat fingers. Last strip was hard to cut out and gluing to center of tire not easy but I'm happy with what I'm doing and I think that's the trick. Being happy. waddy/john
Old 05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member

Can I ask how you ever thought of doing the tires like this? Looking at where one strip is more morrow at a certain give the tire a feather. Tim, this far from easy. It's one thing to to make but it's a lot harder to teach. Something so small but yet so much detail. Wow!!! Thank you. wc
Google Adsense