PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
How to mix any color

Hello all,

I was asked last week if I'd put together a how to on mixing any color you'd ever need using a limited palette.

I've been thinking about how to approach this and I've been gathering some of my old lecture material and taking some pictures and I "think" I'm about ready to get this show on the road.

Is this Tutorial forum a good place to post this or does anyone have better/other suggestions?

Before I start this thing, I'll wait a day or so for any suggestions of where to place these posts.

thank,

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hey SwampFox. Being new to this forum, if I was looking for a colour mixing tutorial this is the place I would start. i.e The Tutorials Forum. If you ask yourself the same question, where would I look for this and you will probably come up with the same answer. Hope that helps mate.

To repeat what I said before, many thanks for taking the time to do this too.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Yes, please put your color stuff in the tutorial section
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
I've been having fun with this lately.Online Color Mixing Palette for Painters
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Boy, am I looking forward to this. It'll be exactly what I need.

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM

This is a very basic demo. of the kind of thing that I'll be demonstrating with "WET" paint. If you learn how to do it right you too can learn how not to waste "Real" paint and not just electrons;-)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM

And we're off..................

This is going to be a demo of unknown length. I'm not a teacher and I've never really tried to explain this material to anyone before.

It is based on the Michael Wilcox “Blue and Yellow don't make Green” book series that has been in publication since the mid-1980's.

Wilcox wrote this series because as an art teacher in Australia he realized that his students didn't understand why one time they would mix yellow and blue and get Olive Drab green and the next time they'd mix another yellow and blue and get Emerald green.....??!!

GREEN is GREEN isn't it? Or is it? I was just as confused as the next person and I finally got it cleared up when I took a color theory class back in the late 1980's.....

This image shows a small number of the books, workbooks, tapes, DVD's that you can spend your $$ on if you choose to delve into this subject on a really serious basis.

You might want to look at this link to the Wilcox Color Mixing System. Some of these products look new, some are definitely older (20 years or so) and might not be available any longer, even thought they are still on the site. You'll have to contact the company or your local art store to find out.

Their link: School of Color USA . Take a look at the info on this site. It might help you get a better idea of what we're getting ourselves into.

I'll try to a make a posting every day or so but don't hold me to that schedule. I have a life in the world away from the internet and actually am away from my computer for several days at a time without checking my e-mail!! Imagine that;-)

I hope you all get whatever your looking for out of these postings. This isn't school, no grades will be handed out. I'll explain what I did and how I did it........the rest is up to you to use the info in what ever way you see fit.

Ask if you have questions..

SFX

Attached Thumbnails
How to mix any color-6_wilcox_books.jpg  

Last edited by Swampfox; 05-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM

These are the kinds of brushes I use....All are small for the most part.

Keep the hairs protected with a plastic cover that usually comes with better brushes.

For doing card model touch-ups use a medium to high quality brush, otherwise you'll spend time picking out the broken brush hair from your model.....

These are 2 styles of paint mixing palette's I use. The one on the left is used for larger quantities of paint and came with the Wilcox course. The one on the left is the one I use 95% of the time. It's the end cap from a mailing tube.

ALWAYS try to mix your color on a white surface, any other color will 'distort' the color to your eyes.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I love the color palette around all the cups.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I love the color palette around all the cups.

This is a different view of the same style palette. It does come with a clear heavy-duty plastic cover to help protect your paint from drying out too quickly.

The colors around the lip of the cups is molded into the surface and as far as I can tell, will not easily come off.

This method of arranging your colors as you mix them, is really helpful in allowing you to keep track of what your doing as far as getting to the color you want.

Also, keep in mind that this is a promo. picture. You will probably never have more than 3-4 colors in different cups at one mixing.
Google Adsense