PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
John,
Sorry it took so long, but I hope this will help you out.
Attached Thumbnails
FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8478.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8482.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8483.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8485.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
My seats came out ok, I think. I need to buy a felt pen set to color the places I didn't cut to well or redo the seats. You have been a hug help. Don't go any where I know there will still be questions. I think I'm hooked on the card modeling thanks to you and everyone else s help. Thank you Jr. wc
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Wow It's been over two weeks since my last post. It's because I'm working on something else which I'll let everyone know about soon. I've got a little left to go so I'll try getting it finished soon.
Attached Thumbnails
FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8487.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8493.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8489.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8490.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8494.jpg  

FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8495.jpg   FG Piper Cub tutorial-100_8496.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
I continue struggle with this build. I have had to go back and do a few do-over’s. I noticed that your window frame looks more strengthen as mine looks more bent up from handling so much. My cockpit came out ok or at least I’m satisfied with it. I was going to cut out the windows(to right of aircraft laying on table) next and us Scotch for the glass but with the frame already attach how do I apply the other windows to the frame of the fuselage? This is so confusing or I am so stupid. wc
Attached Thumbnails
FG Piper Cub tutorial-2012-04-28_11-14-41_839.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Yeah I usually laminate the frame a few times for strength. I just thought of something you could also maybe use toothpicks to strengthen them.
When I did the grasshopper version, I used a Ziploc sandwich bag for the windows but they are thin. Maybe you could try using one of those freezer bags they're a bit thicker, or use clear packaging tape. Hope these ideas help.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Eternal Member

What do you use to laminate the window fame? First time I have heard of this. Can I still laminate my frame work to save it or do I have to start over again? I found a youtube on window making but I would like to get a second opinion first.
FiddlersGreen.net Clear Canopies Tutorial - YouTube
There is a lot more to card stock modeling then I ever thought. Some where thee has to be a "Idiot's Guide to Card Stock Modeling". This is so far over my head it's on a different planet. This Piper Cub might not have been the best model to start with. Maybe a cube or something. Crap!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Laminating is where you layer multiple parts together to make it thicker. You don't have to redo it just glue another frame over the one you have one there. You could do some searching around the links area of the forum. There should be some websites that has some basics on card modeling. When I first started this hobby I was doing worse then you but practice makes perfect.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Eternal Member

With the aircraft sealed up now it will be impossible to laminate the window frame. I should have done that from the inside when the model was open. No where in any of the builds of aircraft did I see or hear of this but it make sense or print the model out on a thicker card stock if my printer could take it. Looks like I have a lot of reading and a lot of printing to do. Thanks for all your help. Holly smoke. wc
Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Eternal Member

When you say laminat the window frame are you suggesting cutting the other window frame into useable sections and clue those on. Such as the left and right side separately without using the entire window over the cabin window? Jr., I'm trying to understand this. At first I thought you meant from inside which is now sealed p. Or did you mean something else? Thank oyu for all your help. wc
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Yes that is how I did it. Have you already made the windows? If not you may still be able to put it on the inside.